(VICT) Heeling

  • From: "bcpaws4me" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:23:03 -0800

Tamara are you also on the OCAD list on yahoogroups? Operant Conditioning
assistance Dogs
There was an excellent post the other day by the list owner on heeling and
how/why we can go so wrong with it. It is as she said harder to train than
the skills often times. Oh do I agree! Met was much easier for me partially
because I did not also need a guide cane but what she posted with getting
rid of the leash and practicing in a safe place- in your home, in an
enclosed yard, etc is awesome. As soon as Thane is back on normal food I
plan to do it because I can first get rid of the cane and leash. Its all
about training for position rather than the leash itself. I hope this can
help you a bit if your not on that list.
I also just got the mini-guide from the Sendero company. It does
echo-location alerting which I hope will help me work better with Thane. Of
course it is a device designed for the blind where the compan ydid not
provide the documentation in alternative format so it will be a bit before I
can use it... big sigh
For a deaf-blind person I think this will make me feel much safer with
street crossings and parking lots when I have to enter them too (without
Thane)

Karyn and Thane