[vi-android] Re: extreme new-be with my first 2 questions

  • From: Tony Hernandez <tonyhspeaks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 20:35:21 -0400

Hi Troy,

Welcome to Android. Laz is a good guy. He'll definitely help you out quite nicely, but if he is unavailable, we're here.

No way to tell if apps are accessible before purchase unless someone who has tried it before tells you. as posted previously, you can get a refund within 15 minutes if you find the app isn't for you.

Carriers, carriers, carriers. That's a very subjective question and depends on some factors that might be beyond your control. if your phone is indeed unlocked and is a SGM phone, you can get Straight Talk, Tracfone, or Net10. Those plans cost around 45 or 50 bucks a month for unlimited data, which you would probably be required to sign up for with those companies if you bring your own smart phone like you might be doing. there are probably quite a few other programs that offer similar service if you bring your own phone. You can also try another program called Pure Talk USA at www.puretalkusa.com. This program has a few plans that range from as little as $5 to $40.95 per month. Look the plans over carefully, as they are all pretty nice and tailored to meet a variety of needs.

The factors I mentioned are:
1. Is your phone unlocked? If not, you'll have to use a certain carrier.
2. If unlocked, is it GSM? That would also determine what kind of carrier you use. One has been suggested already on this thread for a CDMA phone. 3. For the carrier you choose, is there coverage in your area? The Pure Talk USA has no coverage in mine, or I would use them. If anyone has any testimonial about this program, I for one would love to hear it. 4. Last but not least, how much do you want to spend and what do you want to do on your phone. The phone you bought is wifi capable, so you might not even need a plan with data on it if you have lots of wifi hot spots around to use. the Pure Talk USA has a plan available for unlimited voice and text messaging for about $35 a month, with a very small amount of data. Their unlimited voice/text/data plan costs $40.95.

the above information is certainly not exhaustive or comprehensive, but I hope it helps. Knowledge is power, afther all.

Tony

On 5/25/2014 7:11 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi All,
I just ordered my first phone this past Friday from TalkingMp3Players.com and I haven't even gotten the phone yet but I already have a couple of questions. I joined this and one other Android list yesterday and one of the messages I saw after I joined seemed to indicate that Nexus phones may not be produced for much longer; maybe this is a stupid question but the Nexus phones that are still being used will still work even if no newer versions are made won't they? I just want to be sure since it's a Nexus phone that I bought. Regarding apps, is there any way to tell if they're going to be accessible before I download and install them, and what determines if an app is accessible? This may also be a strange question but not only have I never had any kind of cell phone of my own, I've also never had the chance to even handle one to see how it works. The phone I'm getting doesn't come with a contract of any kind, and I mainly want the phone for the apps but does anybody have any suggestions on what carrier I should try when I do get a contract? Keep in mind that I likely won't be making many calls or sending many texts, so other than maybe using some of the apps on the phone when I'm out I will need as low-cost of a contract that I can get, and I'd actually like to just go buy gift cards with money on them that I can load onto the phone if that's possible. I've been promised all the free tech support I'll need to get familiar with the phone when I get it, so this is all of my questions for now but I'm sure there will be many more later on.
Troy