[vi-android] Re: extreme new-be with my first 2 questions

  • From: "Dialup @ 56k" <dialup56k@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 09:15:47 +1000

From what I've read so far, it's a name change from Nexus to Silver.
IMO, there will always be some sort of android hardware released to the developer / enthusiast ROMer. As these communities demand the vanilla version of Android, we should be OK, but then again . . .
 Glen Barwick

***

On 26-May-14 9:11 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi All,
I just ordered my first phone this past Friday from
TalkingMp3Players.com and I haven't even gotten the phone yet but I
already have a couple of questions.
I joined this and one other Android list yesterday and one of the
messages I saw after I joined seemed to indicate that Nexus phones may
not be produced for much longer; maybe this is a stupid question but the
Nexus phones that are still being used will still work even if no newer
versions are made won't they?  I just want to be sure since it's a Nexus
phone that I bought.
Regarding apps, is there any way to tell if they're going to be
accessible before I download and install them, and what determines if an
app is accessible?  This may also be a strange question but not only
have I never had any kind of cell phone of my own, I've also never had
the chance to even handle one to see how it works.
The phone I'm getting doesn't come with a contract of any kind, and I
mainly want the phone for the apps but does anybody have any suggestions
on what carrier I should try when I do get a contract?  Keep in mind
that I likely won't be making many calls or sending many texts, so other
than maybe using some of the apps on the phone when I'm out I will need
as low-cost of a contract that I can get, and I'd actually like to just
go buy gift cards with money on them that I can load onto the phone if
that's possible.
I've been promised all the free tech support I'll need to get familiar
with the phone when I get it, so this is all of my questions for now but
I'm sure there will be many more later on.
Troy