[vi-android] Re: extreme new-be with my first 2 questions

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 09:28:34 +1000

Hi Troy,

Welcome to the community!

As mentioned, the "discontinuation" of the Nexus line is mainly simply
a rebranding to "Silver".  Nexus phones have traditionally been kept
the most up to date, usually for at least a couple of years or so
after they are released, and even once phones aren't updated anymore,
they definitely continue to work and the majority of apps do still
work even on older versions of Android.  If and when you get to a
point where you really want a new version of Android than you can get
on your phone, you can usually root it and install a custom ROM and
the Nexus line have more of those available than pretty much any other
phone, so from that point of view you should be right with your new
purchase for quite some time to come.

Re finding out whether an app is accessible before you download it,
there isn't as much information in this area as would be ideal.  One
thing you can do is search for "Talkback" or "accessible" and add that
to your search term, for instance "Accessible chess".  There are a
couple of websites and blogs which mention some accessible apps though
not really a comprehensive list.  One of the great things with Android
though is that even with paid apps you can download something and if
you find it isn't accessible (or you just don't like it or whatever)
then you can uninstall it.  With paid apps, you get a 15 min window to
download and try the app once you've bought it, and during that time
on the app's page on the Play Store, instead of "Open" and "Uninstall"
buttons, you have "Open" and "Refund" - Refund not only removes the
app from your device, but also refunds you the money so there's no
risk (except with apps which have 500mb files to download and take
more than 15 mins to setup, which I've seen once or twice, though not
very often).

Regards

Quentin.