[vi-android] Re: basic questions, getting started

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 09:46:15 +1000

Hi Aiden,

Re locking the screen (or not as you request), is it that you don't
want the screen to turn off, or that it's a hassle entering an unlock
code etc?

Different devices might be slightly different here, but on my Galaxy
Note II, there are several settings which affect this:

FIrstly in settings then display there is an option called Screen
Timeout, which lets you set how long before the screen automatically
turns off if you leave the device sitting idle, on mine this can be
anywhere from 15 seconds to 10 minutes.

Also in Display, there is also a "Daydream" option.  This lets you
have a screensaver which runs automatically when the device is docked
and / or sleeping.  Under Accessory there is an option for "Desk home
screen", which I think is more a Samsung thing which works when your
device is on the charger and shows a clock / calendar / weather etc.

Then if you go into settings and into lock screen, there is an option
to "Lock automatically after..." which is able to be set for anywhere
from immediately the screen goes off, to up to half an hour later.

Also in settings / lock screen is the "Screen lock" option.  This lets
you set what you need to do after your press the home button to get
back into your device once it has gone to sleep.  The options range
from swiping through using a pin or password to having nothing (the
device would go straight back to your home screen or whatever was
running when it fell asleep or you manually locked the screen with the
power button).

It's generally recommended that a password or pin number is the most
secure - that way if you ever do lose your device, it will be that
much harder for someone else to get into it and into your data.

There are quite a few options though and as with so many things they
aren't all clumped together, but I hope that gives you an idea of most
of the options if you hadn't come across them all before.  OF course
which ones are available on your device might be different again.

Regards

Quentin.