[vi-android] Re: Please will Talkback work on the Nokia X, XL and X+?

  • From: Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya <ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 09:49:16 +0100

Thank you Norman.

On 6/29/14, Tony Hernandez <tonyhspeaks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Ayoola,
>
> I suggest you look at the Motorola Moto E. It costs around 21,000 of
> your currency on Amazon from my  calculation, and you can get it
> unlocked. It has KitKat and is guaranteed an upgrade. Awesome specs and
> hardware for the price too. I don't know if you have the ability to buy
> from Amazon, but  here is the link.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-Global-Unlocked-Black/dp/B00K0NRYF6
>
> Yes, I do admit that typing on a touch screen keyboard is not my cup of
> tea, but you can get small bluetooth keyboards to use. Google makes
> improvements to both android and its accessibility, so they will
> probably come up with a way to type on a touch screen easily eventually.
> If it's any consolation, sighted people complain about typing on a touch
> screen as well, and this is something that your brother should know. My
> wife, for example, complains about it, and she is fully sighted.
>
> Tony
>
> On 6/28/2014 6:56 PM, Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya wrote:
>> Tony,
>>
>> Thank you. I will discuss the points you raised with him. They are
>> very valid. I think his constraint is the thought that he has to make
>> a huge jump from the qwerty keypad to a fully touch screen phone.
>>
>> And as you pointed out, android 4.1.2 is outdated. But, as for me, I'm
>> kind of confused about the phone to settle for. First is the issue of
>> price: While the price of most phones sound quite inexpensive when
>> expressed in dollars, their naira equivalent can be a turn off for
>> someone concerned about their budget. Just so you know, a dollar is
>> about 160-165 naira (the Nigerian currency).
>>
>> Then there is the issue of finding a high end phone/tab with a
>> built-in FM radio app. I have discovered that many of Samsung's
>> high-end phones don't have the FM radio app. For me in Nigeria where
>> data subscription costs so much, I just can't imagine life without the
>> FM radio app. My day is incomplete without some of my city's FM
>> stations!
>>
>> I have looked up the Galaxy S5 on many online stores in Nigeria and
>> found out that the price ranges between 103,000 and 110,000 naira.
>> That's about 25,000 naira more than my monthly salary.
>> http://www.slot.ng/samsung-galaxy-s5-plus-free-powerbank/
>>
>>   The S4 is between 74,000 and 89,000 naira and is said to still be
>> running android 4.2. http://www.slot.ng/samsung-galaxy-s4/
>>
>> Finally, my initial choice, the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2, is the
>> cheapest at 59,000 naira, runs the android 4.3 and has the built-in FM
>> radio. However, I'm not sure the Grand 2 gets updated to 4.4.
>>
>> I hope I can make a choice quickly because I'm tired of using this
>> android 2.3 phone.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> On 6/28/14, Tony Hernandez <tonyhspeaks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi Ayoola,
>>>
>>> Android 4.1.2 is one of the versions on which Talkback works relatively
> [...]

Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya

Communications Professional, Broadcast journalist and Accessible Technology
Enthusiast/Trainer

M.A candidate
Department of Communication and Language Arts
University of Ibadan
Ibadan, Nigeria

MOBILE: +234-802-944-9441; +234-809-964-9514

e-Mail: ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx

SKYPE: ayoola.stephen.efunkoya

Check out my profile and connect with me:

 Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya on LinkedIn <http://ng.linkedin.com/in/ayokoya>

AyoKoya on Twitter <http://twitter.com/ayokoya>

Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya on Facebook <http://facebook.com/ayokoya>