[vi-android] Re: Introduction

  • From: Jeanie Vejil <proud2have-tsedog@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 22:57:51 -0500

Glen,

I'm finding that those of you who have posted since I subbed earlier today are teaching me things I need to know but didn't know who to ask, and I thank you all so much for your help.

Jeanie

On Thursday 5/15/2014 12:47 PM, Dialup @ 56k wrote:
Hello All,
My name is Glen Barwick. Thanks to Quinton for this list which I think is a really good resource. I've been using Android phones since my Nokia N86 died and while it's been occasionally challenging, I personally enjoy the fact that I have a lot of available phone choices and a huge android phone community to go along with it. I have a bit of sight which is OK in side the house, but out side I have to totally rely on TalkBack. In the early days, the phones provided by the local telcos weren't very accessible so I entered the world of installing custom software on my phones. For those of you who are curious, this requires the phone to first be rooted, that is, gaining access to the Root folder/s, and then installing custom software, called the ROM. This can be a very dangerous process for all sorts of reasons and can result in bricking or making your phone totally useless other than for an expensive paper weight. I've been lucky so far, and while I've had a few scary moments, I haven't had any terminal results. As an example of the rooting and ROMing process, my very first Android phone which is an HTC Inspire 4g now runs the most recent version of Android, version 4.4.2 aka KitKit via a custom ROM from the Cyanogenmod community. It gives me a great deal of satisfaction to have the most recent OS on my oldest phone. I also have a two year old Asus Transformer TF700t 10" tablet running a variant of the latest Cyanogenmod ROM. It wasn't a very good tablet out of the box, but some very clever developers on the XDA forums have given it a new life. Unfortunately, not all phones can be rooted, and even some phones that can be rooted will not run KitKat because of its hardware requirements. However, KitKat is not as fussy about hardware, specifically internal memory as previous versions of Android.
I hope some of you have found this rant of some use.
Glen Barwick

To post to the list, simply send email to vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx. To unsubscribe from the list send an email to vi-android-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field (new users, use 'subscribe' to subscribe) To receive the list as a digest, send an email to vi-android-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'set vi-android digest' in the subject (to go back to receiving every message use 'unset vi-android digest' in the subject).