[vi-android] Re: Another Play Store Question

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 09:29:45 +1100

Hi Alexander,

Re linking to your PC, yes you definitely can - it actually works quite
well and to be honest seems a little spooky at first - if you log into
Google play - Go to https://play.google.com/store in your browser and log
in with your GMail credentials, you can browse the apps you have installed
on your phone (I find it does take a fair while longer to get to here than
on the phone itself) and you can also install apps from the play store
right onto your phone - you simply choose "install" and if you have more
than one device linked to your account you choose which device to install
to.

I've never actually gone through with making a purchase from my computer
but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Re the first question, I haven't used S-Voice but wonder, have you tried
it?  Have you got it to work in other parts of the phone, and if so you
could then see if it would work in Google Play.  I expect you should be
able to speak email addresses.  As for the password, that would be
interesting to try.  Visually Android recognises most password fields and
automatically hides the entered charracters with asterisks, and if you have
your phone locked with a password or number then Talkback won't read out
what you enter unless you have headphones plugged in.

Actually one other little trick you could try - you can buy a cable which
connects to your phone's micro USB port and at the other end has a female
USB connector into which you can theoretically plug any USB keyboard, or so
says the internet.

I did buy a keyboard case for my Nexus 10 tablet which comes with such a
cable and a little USB keyboard and that works - I haven't tried it with a
different keyboard, but if you are having trouble with the small bluetooth
keyboards that could be an option.  I did see something the other day about
Samsung wanting to disable non-Samsung accessories from being used with
it's newer devices on Kit Kat, ah here:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01/22/samsung-appears-to-have-started-blocking-third-party-accessories-starting-with-kitkat-on-the-note-3-but-there-is-a-root-solution/-
so far it seems to just be cases but theoretically it could extend to
keyboards and chargers as well, which would be very annoying.

Regards

Quentin.