[Va-bird] Chincoteague

  • From: Barbara Houston <rinksyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 22:36:46 -0400

My photo group (Colonial Nature Photography Club) did a trip to eastern shore today. We stopped many places along the way and got to Chincoteague around 2pm. We went first to the beach and were stunned to see a group of 80-100 snow geese in the pool across from the visitor's center. They moved around a couple times and we all got some great pics of them...they were gone by the time the sun went down.

On the wildlife loop, we were treated to a group of 20+ white ibis with about half being immature with gorgeous markings. We also saw the bald eagle pair along the loop as well as some shoveleres, mallards, canada's, and lots of egrets and herons. I also have a duck that none of us could ID...once we get the pics posted, I will need some help.

It was a gorgeous day to be out and we had a wonderful time. Even the mosquitoes bigger than the finches couldn't damper it! ;-)

I will get the full report out tomorrow, but just wanted to let everyone know about the ibis and snow geese.

Barbara Houston