[Va-bird] Chincoteague

  • From: Barbara Houston <rinksyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bird VA <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 21:28:42 -0500

Sorry for the late post....didn't get home until late and was tired last night. We went to Chincoteague for the day Sunday. I wanted to get some Brandts...a bird I had not seen before. I had a great day and got two 'lifers'...Brandts and Horned Grebes.

The tide was super high when we got there around 10:30. We pulled off on the causeway in and saw Brandts in the reeds. There were quite a few, but it was cloudy and dark. I was happy to see them and we continued on. Shirley was there and texted me to tell me the ponies were up on the road. We got there and there were 5 ponies up on the road....and people right on top of them. I guess people don't understand that these are 'wild' ponies. We went on down to the beach now that the road has been repaired to allow car traffic. The first parking area on the south side is the only thing open and they did have the off road open as well. There is a bunch of debris up on the beach....we drove on the beach all the way down to the hook. Once we rounded the corner, it was like the Atlantic Ocean had emptied all of it's conch shells onto the beach. They were everywhere. There were gulls feeding on them and a few shorebirds as well (sanderlings, turnstones, and a couple yet to be ID'd). There were also some loons off the beach. We walked around the area surveying the contents. Someone had propped up a log and had three pairs of sunglasses put on there. We picked up about 30 more pair. It was like every pair of glasses ever lost had been washed up there. We found bathing suits, umbrellas, toy boats and cars, rope, and quite a bit of trash.

We headed back and got to watch a large Bald Eagle on the sound side as well as a large flock of Snow Geese (probably around 200), but these were the only ones we saw on the day.

We ate lunch and then stopped at the new walkway near the McD's looking for rails. No such luck. I think the tide was still too high for them. We went back onto the reserve and did the wildlife loop. Another large Bald Eagle was near the old nesting site and it looks like they have started another nest in the tallest tree left on that island. There were Shovelers, Mallards, Black Ducks, and such around the wildlife loop. No snow geese that I saw.

We went back down toward the beach and I got some pics of the Horned Grebes and some Ruddy Ducks near the visitor center...and an yet to be ID'd duck...I will post pics later.

As we headed home, we came across another group of Brandts in the channel after the circle and I got some nice pics with the setting sun.

A good day on the eastern shore.

Barbara Houston
New Kent, VA