[ussgeorgetown] The Deluge

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 06:39:02 EST

The  Deluge
by Nikolas  Renaldi and Senek Menkara

"The best thing one can  do when it's raining is to let it rain."--Henry
Wadsworth  Longfellow

He wasn't going to say it, he  thought as walked back to the ready room after
checking in with Natalia and the  boys. He just wasn't, not that it would
matter.  "Things couldn't  possibly get worse," he muttered as he stepped
inside,
then groaned. "Aw fuck, I  said it." With a tired heavy sigh, he sat behind
his desk and tapped his comm  badge. "Renaldi to Menkara, I need to speak with
you."

Senek didn't mind busy.  Busy  did more to distract him from pain than did
calm when he was on duty though he  supposed the bridge staff and the station
repair crews were getting irritated  with his looming presence.  Irritation was
illogical in that case and it  almost amused him, not that he would ever admit
it.  He was not amused at  the other recent goings on at all, though.  Nobody
was.  Renaldi's  summons staved off what would have likely grown into a full
blown internal rant,  though.  "Aye, sir."  He fixed his eyes on the relief
helm  officer.  "You have the conn, Mr. Hardy."  With that, he headed for  the
captain's office, imagining he heard the staff saying 'thank god' as he  left.

Nikolas was at his replicator when  Senek walked in. Hale had scotch and
bourbon on hand but Nikolas was a Russian  raised Greek,  his tastes fell more
towards vodka and ouzo, but, unlike  Hale, he'd never drink on duty. "I was
just
getting more coffee, can I offer you  anything, Commander?"

More than coffee at this time of  day?  Senek raised a brow and shook his
head minutely.  "No, sir," he  said deadpan.  "Not unless it's tea and only
tea."

The dark haired, tired looking young  man ordered an Vulcan evening tea and
then placed it on the desk in front of the  guest chair before sitting behind
his desk with his coffee. "Are you familiar  with the human phrase 'when it
rains it pours', Commander?"

"Quite," Senek said with a nod of  thanks, "even if my father was raised in a
desert nation.  Might one  logically assume a deluge has started?"

"It's a flood, Commander, and we're  up to our necks in it." Nikolas held
back a sigh. Captains never sighed, you  never saw Picard or Kirk or Janeway or
Sisko sigh. Stoic, that's what he was  going for, yet he couldn't help but feel
like a boy playing in his father's  shoes. He'd adjust though.  He just
needed time. He hoped. "Apparently, the  Federation Council calling for
tribunals
to confront Captain Hale and everyone  else linked to Turner and those mines
wasn't enough pressure for us. No, the  Garrity boys and McEntire decided they
just had to go AWOL, which, in  turn, has SFSF at our door."

"Oh really."  Senek's voice  was, even at his most logical, rather warm.  If
it ever approached the  frigidness in those three syllables, it was an obvious
sign that he was, to put  it mildly, not pleased at all.  "Remind me, should
we see them any time  soon, to wring their necks for such blatant stupidity."

"The agent who contacted me seems to  think Georgetown could be where they're
heading," Nikolas replied after taking a  gulp of his coffee. "Do you really
think they'd come here? I know they have  personal connections, but that would
only put those people in very tight places  where the SFSF and Star Fleet
Command were concerned."

Senek blew out a soft, controlled  breath.  "If they thought they could rely
on certain personnel, they  might.  I would count myself and Dr. Coyne as
possible contacts as well as  Dr. Jameson."  He thought further, taking a sip
of
tea.  "Perhaps even  Tempest if Captain Hale were to contact Captain Craig."

Nikolas pinched the bridge of his  nose. "Why?" he wondered out loud. "Why
would they go AWOL? They had to know it  would only make things worse."

"Sir, are you familiar with the  expressions 'hero complex' or 'messiah
complex'?" Senek asked  tiredly.

That caused Nikolas to look up and  raise a brow.  "You think they went off
to play heroes?"

"That plus the belief, may I be  forgiven the blasphemy, only they can do it,
as only His Son could save the  world," Senek explained, his expression
rather sour at having to make the  comparison.  "Mr. McEntire is more the hero
rather than the  savior."

"Great, ten more men and he could  start a religion," Nikolas muttered. The
more the idea swam around in his head,  the more he wondered. "The only thing I
can think of that he'd want to save are  more mine slaves. What kind of deal
did the Captain make with the Devil  anyway?"

"Or it was a deal with Sauron and the three  are of the Company.  Either way,
sir, this is nothing my grandfather can  get them out of, not like the last
time."  Illogical or not, Senek was  disgusted.  The very fact that there was a
'last time' meant that neither  brother had learned a damned thing, had not
grown as individuals at all.   It annoyed him, too, because Zachary had abused
the trust given to him.  "I  some how doubt that they will end up like the
elves."

Nikolas stared at  his executive officer for a long moment, blinked, and then
laughed. "There's a  reference to The Chronicles of  Narnia in this whole
thing too, but that would be over kill." He took a moment  to think things
through and nodded. "They're officially off the manifest, not  our problem
unless
they show up so let Lieutenant Lazzara and MC Le Beau know to  be on watch.
That'll leave us to find a new chief engineer."

Senek  steepled long fingers in front of himself.  "Sir, there is the
possibility  that they would try to contact other crew members.  We can do one
of two
 things: spend too much time guessing what frequency they might try to use or
we  can block all incoming traffic, routing it to a central location.
Certainly that would be a lot of work but it would be less cumbersome than
trying
to explain to everyone aboard why they can't talk to them."

"I  hate to screen personal calls and such but go ahead with the central
router  idea," Nikolas agreed. "And make sure everyone knows to play nice with
the
SF  agent that'll be poking around. It should only be for a few days, then we
get to  relaunch. We're a sovereign class ship for Pete's sake, we can't let
Picard have  all the fun."

"I am quite sure my definition of fun differs from yours,  sir," Senek said
dryly.

Nikolas laughed at that. "I'm a fly boy at  heart, Mister Menkara. My idea of
fun is different from a lot of  people's."

"Then we will all have to have a turn at taking those three to  task for
ruining any number of types of fun," Senek replied, feeling the  headache
forming
already.  Whoever got stuck with playing old time phone  operator was not
going to be happy.

"We'll let the courts and Command  deal with them." Nikolas replied as a slow
smile pulled at his lips. "We'll deal  with our own, starting with two names
that's come across my desk way to often.  Fred Batty and John Butler, they've
just  become our personal Ernestine."

So said Surak: Kaiidth. What is,  is.