<USS Eagle> "Family Talks" (JL Marqusa/Haas)

  • From: Roman Haas <romnhaas@xxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 22:12:16 -0400

"Family Talks"
ON

    Things had been progressing nicely with both repairs to the ship and assisting with repairs to Space Station Nigala.  The latter, of the two, requiring much more manpower and time.  After a long day, it was really nice to be able to return to one's own quarters and bed.  After having to spend almost a week, sleeping on the runabout, Roman appreciated this more and more.
    Gwen sat on the bed, taking her boots off.  She looked over to her husband. "Glad to be off that station?"
    Haas slid into the bed, already undressed, his unifrom already tossed on the floor.  "Oh you can bet on that."
    Gwen smiled over to him, "I'm definitely glad to have you back."  She hesitated, "You know, this whole situation got me thinking . . . "
    Leaning on one elbow, Rommie looked to his wife.  "And just what were you thinking about?"
    Standing, Gwen picked up Rommie's uniform from the floor where he left it.  "About the future."  She went over and put the dirty uniform away, and her boots in the closet.
    "Oh, and would that future involve me picking up my own uniform?"
    Laughing, Gwen remarked. "Too late love, I've already done that for you."  She picked out her night gown and quickly changed and put her uniform away.  Moving back over to the bed, she sat down and looked at Rommie.
    "I'm talking about where our careers are going and . . . I want to have a family."
    A twinkle came to Rommie's eyes along with his charming smile.  "A family?  Really?"
    She chuckled, "Yes.  Really.  But--"  She hesitated and stood back up.
    His eyes followed her.  "But... what?"
    "I don't want to end up like Lukas and April."  She turned and looked at him, "I want my kids to grow up with their mother AND their father there.  And, I'm not sure that I want to be separated from you most of the time either.  Especially after this ordeal.  I didn't like the cold bed."
    Rommie patted the bed, and waggled his finger at her, in the "come here" fashion.
    Smiling, she moved over to Rommie and gave him a kiss, then pulled away, "I'm not sure how long the situation on this ship will last.  Starfleet will be after one of us for a Command or XO position.  I don't want to have this conversation when that happens.  I'd rather be ready before."
    Rommie pushed himself up to a sitting position. "Well, what WOULD you do if you were offered a command?"
    "Depends on the command, and depends on you.  I mean there are a few options: 1) I turn down the offer, 2) I take the offer and you stay here, 3) I take the offer and you come with. Option two is out of the question."
    "I'll agree that number two is out of the question," Rommie told his wife.  "I am not fond of the cold bed either.  I could not carry on a marriage like Lukas.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  It seems to work for him and April, but..... That's not for me."
    "Nor for me.  As for option 3, I -- "  She hesitated, she had been thinking on this part long and hard, "Don't take this the wrong way, but, I wouldn't want you on MY command staff."  She looked at him, and was sensing his feelings, hoping he didn't take that wrong.
    "Why?  Just because I leave my uniform on the floor?"  Rommie tried to act indignant, but his true feelings were in his eyes.
    Giving him a fake stern look, "well that would be one good reason right there!"  Then she turned more serious.  "Conflict of interest Rommie.  We are bordering on that here, now, with me as XO and you a Department Head."
    "No conflict here," Rommie said, grabbing at his wife.  "I'm very interested in you."
    Gwen laughed and pushed him away, "and I'm interested in you.  But, I can't be your CO, Rommie.  So, if we opt for Option 3, you'd have to come as a Civie."
    "Okay," Rommie stated.
    "So, is option 3 really an option?"  She looked at him, "Seriously?"
    "Yes." There was no jovial intonations in his voice.  "For you, I would give up my commission.  I can be a stay-at-home dad."
    "You love your job though.  You don't think you'd end up resenting me?"
    "Hmmmm... resent the most beautiful woman in the universe? The woman who could do nothing but bore exquisite children? No."
    Gwen blushed, "Well good.  What about if you were offered the XO position somewhere?"
    "I'm not looking for any position that would take me from you," Rommie answered.
    "You don't want to be Captain one day Rommie?  Never dreamed of it?"
    "Maybe when I was back at the academy," he said, "but now.... Not so much."
    She sat next to him, "Really?  Because I'd be willing to give up my commission if you wanted to be.  I think you'd make an excellent Captain."
    He looked at her and smiled.  "You're supposed to say that.  You're biassed."
    She chuckled, "Of course I am, but it doesn't change the fact.  Is it something you really want to do?"
    Haas' _expression_ turned totally serious.  "Gwen.  A lot of my priorities have changed since I first attended the Academy.  I started out a scared kid from Rigel V, who couldn't put two sentences together without stuttering...
    "I wanted to travel the stars.  I wanted to command a starship.  Well now,..." He paused a moment, the gleam had not left his eyes.  "Now, I have you.  I HAVE traveled the stars.  I been to the Delata quadrant, I've been in different universes, I have even commanded a starship. Make that TWO starships, now.  If it were all to end tomorrow, I'd be happy so long as you were still there with me."
    "You wouldn't want to have a ship of your own, knowing that I'd be there with you and raising our kids?  That's not something you'd want?  I know how important family is to Rigeleans, I don't want that to be a factor."
    "If you were there with me? Sure!  I'd want that," Rommie admitted.  "And yes, a family is very important to me, and not just because I'm Rigelian.  I have to admit a little bit of jealousy whenever I see Lukas with the twins or with his daughter."
    "Then if you get the opportunity, we shouldn't dismiss it.  And, in the meantime, we should work on starting our own family."
    Rommie pulled Gwen in close.  "I like that idea.  How about we start right now?"
    Gwen slid into the bed with her husband, grinning. "I like that idea."

OFF
Commander Gwenivere Marqusa
Executive Officer

Commander Roman Haas