[ussbansheec] Homeward Bound

  • From: Rhiannon <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 19:32:34 -0500

³Homeward Bound²

Jaidev wasn¹t the type who enjoyed the suddenness of space assignments. He
liked having a set time to his day, so being awoken in the middle of the
night tended to make him grumpy. As he entered the lab where his device was
he looked at the night shift ensign who¹d called him. He gave the young man
a meaningful glare that pretty much told him that he was toast of this
wasn¹t something important.

³You wanted to be alerted as soon as the device became active.² The ensign
reported.

The Cardassian-Human hybrid¹s head jerked towards his device. He went over
to it and started reading its displays. He could hardly believe what he was
seeing. The single they¹d been sending out in search of his first device had
been received.

³Any reply to the message?² Jaidev asked as he moved around the device.

³Not yet.² Replied the ensign. ³We¹re still awaiting confirmation that we¹ve
made contact with Banshee.²

³Confirmation?² Grace asked from her command chair on the bridge.

The Bajorian manning both the engineering and science stations nodded. ³Yes,
Captain. According to our team in the lab the device is requesting
confirmation.²

³That makes sense.² Aeriannah said from her own bridge seat. ³If that things
gonna work the way McEntire and the others say it will, they¹d want to make
sure it¹s us they¹ve reached.²

Grace nodded her agreement and then looked down at the control panel set
into the arm of her chair. ³Link me to the device from here, Ensign.²

³Aye, Captain.² The young man replied.

There was a loud beep on the device. The ensign moved quickly to receiver
and checked the incoming transmission. He read over the encoded message and
as he did so his whole slender frame seemed to relax. ³We have confirmation,
sir. We have received Captain Davis¹ command verifications.²

Jaidev closed his eyes and sent a small prayer to the gods of Cardassia
Prime as well as the Earth deities his great-grand mother use to evoke. If
this worked he would be holding his little sister in his arms within hours.
He would be able to call his parents and tell them she was home. ³Send the
instruction packet, Ensign.²

³Captain, the lab is reporting receipt of instructions on how Pathfinder
plan on getting us home.² The young Bajorian called out. He paused as he
read over what was being sent up from the lab from team who¹d been working
with the wormhole device. ³Apparently if we activate the device we have it,
along with a second device on their end, will act as counter-weights and
open a wormhole between them.² He looked up from his station and down at his
captain. ³The lab team is waiting for your orders Captain.²

Grace got up from her chair and walked over to the station where the science
officer was working. She looked over the information on the screen before
finally nodding to herself. ³Bridge to Science Lab 3. Proceed.²

³Sir,² The young ensign said looking up.

Jaidev nodded. ³I see it, Ensign. The other device has been turned on. It¹ll
take time for them to both build up enough power.² He pressed in the codes
needed to activate the device and then went back to monitoring the feed
between this one and the one on Banshee. Tapping his comm. badge he called
out, ³LeBeau to Bridge, prepare for power transfer.²

³You heard what the man said.² Grace said as she looked at her bridge crew.
³The device needs more power, redirect all available power to Mr. McEntire
in the science lab.²

So many thoughts rushed through her head as she waited for word from the
lab. Were they really this close to going home? The initial message had said
her mother¹s ship was part of the project, the Fenchurch would be greeting
them and she¹d be able to see her mother. The waiting was killing her.

³We¹re at ninety-five percent, sir.² The ensign said as he looked at the
clock on the wall. Two hours had seemed like a lifetime as they waited for
both devices to be primed and ready.

Jaidev nodded. ³LeBeau to Bridge, prepare for wormhole creation.²

The image on the forward view screen made it hard to breath. Grace and the
rest of her bridge crew watched as a pinprick of light in space slowly began
to grow and swirl as a wormhole started opening off their port bow. She knew
that everyone on the ship was watching this either from stations of threw
windows. They¹d been through this once before, when they¹d followed the
three criminals down their brig, so there had to be a little curbing to the
hope everyone was feeling. She knew she was holding back.

³The wormhole is complete and stabilizing, Captain.²

Grace looked at the beautiful swirl of colors on the screen and then over at
her first officer. Annie, for her part smiled a small smile before turning
back to the screen. Grace looked at her helmsmen. ³Set course for the
wormhole, Lieutenant. Best, and safest, speed.²

³Ate, Captain.² The middle-aged woman replied. ³Course set.²
For just a moment Grace wondered if she were doing the right thing. It was
just a flicker of doubt. After all it had been her choice, her orders that
had landed them in this mess. But the risk was worth it, and she trusted her
people. Her chiefs knew far more about this type of thing then she did and
they told her this was the real deal as far as they could tell. That was
good enough for her.

³Engage.²