[Umpqua Birds] Re: Sutherlin Sites today

  • From: Mary Ann Wilcox <maryannw27@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 22:38:28 -0800 (PST)

I think one of the Bunco ladies had a common snipe in her field,  she took a
picture of it....Mary Ann

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 8:48 PM, Matthew G Hunter
<matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greetings Folks,
I took my wife and kids briefly by Plat I Reservoir, Cooper Creek Reservoir,
and Ford's Pond today, 15-20 minutes each, "on our way" from Roseburg to my
mom's place in Umpqua. I had them record their observations for at least one
location so they could practice inputing their observations for the Great
Backyard Bird Count (http://gbbc.birdcount.org/).  Anyway, my notes...

Plat I Reservoir: Full of water, brown, and quite a few ducks as well. It
almost seemed as if the flock of wigeon there had been transplanted from
Wildlife Safari because there were two male EURASIAN WIGEON in with the large
number of American Wigeon. Complete list:

Cooper Creek: Brown water. No swans, but at least 7 Pied-billed Grebes, which I
believe nest there. No singing grebes heard yet. Complete List:

Ford's Pond: Water is filling up. One TREE SWALLOW heard overhead; my first
inland swallow for this year. One male EURASIAN WIGEON with a group of American
Wigeon. Two HORNED GREBES way out in the NW corner (haven't had one in winter
here for a while). A lot of birds there, but we didn't have time to scrutinize
them all. Complete List: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S16998067

Things are moving around....

Cheers,

Matt Hunter