[Umpqua Birds] Huge Group of Snipe

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 19:43:11 -0800

I stopped for about 45 minutes in the rain at Stewart Park Wildlife Ponds
this afternoon. Still a high diversity of ducks there (species diversity
will thin out in a month or two). Most astonishing was probably the largest
group of WILSON'S SNIPE (formerly called Common Snipe) I have ever seen.
Easily over 250 snipe on the south pond island. Groups of 20-30 were
swarming around, flying from the island to the pond edge, then back. Many
were out feeding in the open water, but many more were piled up in the
grass/weeds of the island itself. I suspect they will be there for a while,
so long as some of their favorite sites are somewhat flooded--just my guess.

Along with them on the south pond island were 15 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS,
and two LEAST SANDPIPERS (tiny little shorebirds compared to everything
else out there), all still in winter plumage.

What a great spot in the city limits of Roseburg. Complete list with notes
here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17043776

Matt