[Umpqua Birds] Sutherlin Sites today

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 20:48:36 -0800

Greetings Folks,
I took my wife and kids briefly by Plat I Reservoir, Cooper Creek
Reservoir, and Ford's Pond today, 15-20 minutes each, "on our way" from
Roseburg to my mom's place in Umpqua. I had them record their observations
for at least one location so they could practice inputing their
observations for the Great Backyard Bird Count (http://gbbc.birdcount.org/).
Anyway, my notes...

Plat I Reservoir: Full of water, brown, and quite a few ducks as well. It
almost seemed as if the flock of wigeon there had been transplanted from
Wildlife Safari because there were two male EURASIAN WIGEON in with the
large number of American Wigeon. Complete list:

Cooper Creek: Brown water. No swans, but at least 7 Pied-billed Grebes,
which I believe nest there. No singing grebes heard yet. Complete List:

Ford's Pond: Water is filling up. One TREE SWALLOW heard overhead; my first
inland swallow for this year. One male EURASIAN WIGEON with a group of
American Wigeon. Two HORNED GREBES way out in the NW corner (haven't had
one in winter here for a while). A lot of birds there, but we didn't have
time to scrutinize them all. Complete List:

Things are moving around....

Cheers,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR