[Umpqua Birds] Sunshine Park/ ODFW Office Saturday

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 22:05:55 -0800

Hi Folks,

This morning (Saturday) Mark Hamm and I walked around a bit at Sunshine
Park east of Roseburg. Thankfully it wasn't raining while we were there and
the birds were out. The most productive area was along the fenceline at the
upper part (north end) of the park, up the hill where there were a lot of
sparrows, finches, goldfinches, and robins. Some interesting observations
up there were a PEREGRINE FALCON swooping through, an immature
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, and far up the hill to the north an immature BALD
EAGLE (flying around with some ravens).  Complete list here:

We also stopped briefly at the ODFW office out Diamond Lake Blvd., where we
saw the leucistic FOX SPARROW.

Other observations of late: group of 9 TURKEY VULTURES on ground in pasture
up Valley Rd, Melrose. BURROWING OWL continues on private property near
Kruse Farms. I expect it will leave sometime in February or March. I still
haven't seen or heard any Tree Swallows, but they ought to be showing up
soon.

Rivers are swollen and brown! Makes it more difficult for most ducks to
feed. I've seen more ducks out in the flooded/puddled pastures and
croplands.

Bluebirds, House Sparrows, European Starlings have been checking out our
nest boxes for a week or so.

Happy "Spring",

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR