[Umpqua Birds] Re: Falcon I.D.

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: UB <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 11:22:52 -0800

Hi Liz and All,
  Well I wish I was there to see it in person! I'm out of town for a couple
more days....

I wish I could be more sure of what details I'm seeing in the photo.
...It does look like a female whatever it is, due to the relatively small
head vs large body. Does seem to have a triangular falcon shape, broad
shoulders, narrowing as one goes down.

Breast appears to have fairly coarse streaks, so an immature bird. Coarse
streaks would suggest Gyrfalcon or Peregrine, vs Prairie, if the really are
coarse.

I'm confused by what at first I took as a thin malar mark, but upon closer
examination looks like perhaps a twig; note the dogleg at bottom. What did
you see in the field? Can't tell for sure in other photo.

If there really is a thin dark malar mark, combined with dark forecrown,
and fairly pale cheeks, and the noticeable pale eyebrow, that would suggest
Prairie Falcon, perhaps more than Gyrfalcon. I think a pale / tundra type
Peregrine would have a pale forecrown, but this feature seems variable. If
the malar mark in the photo was a twig and it actually did not have a
strong malar mark, in that light I think that would support Gyrfalcon, not
Prairie.

The wing coverts, though in shadow, seem to have extensive and substantial
pale edging. This is present to some degree on some imm Peregrines,  but
seems more common and noticeable on imm Gyrfalcons, and not so much on
Prairie Falcons. Also variable.

Your assessment of size (though one of the least reliable human judgements
w/o direct reference) would suggest it wasn't a Prairie Falcon, as they
usually have a more slim look, whereas I've seen some pretty bulky female
Peregrines, especially in winter. The photos however seem to show a falcon
that tapers substantially from shoulders to feet, not the big central bulk
of many Gyrs, and without noticeable "chaps" in this position; more like
Peregrine or Prairie. But again, variable with position of bird.

Unfortunately, we can't see the juxtaposition of wingtips and tail tip
(something maybe peeking out from behind/under branch) which would be
immensely helpful. Also would be telling to see it fly!

So, currently, I'm uncommitted from the photo. I could see it being a
Gyrfalcon, possibly Prairie, long-shot Peregrine variant.

But enough of this, I want to know your description from the field, if you
even had time to look. Did it have a malar mark? What did the face look
like? Chest/belly? Could you see the position of wing and tail tips? I'm
interested if you made any notes in the field at the time, not influenced
by later review.

BTW, you mentioned 3 photos. I saw only two. Do you have any others? Darker
ones would be especially helpful, as the whites are blown out on these two.

It is intriguing enough I hope to look around central Douglas County for
such a bird when I get back. On the coast they often hang with Cackling
Geese. Might watch the flock near Ford's Pond if they're still there.

Best,
Matt
Hey Birders,

During our annual midwinter bald eagle survey (from Glide to Elkton) this
past Tuesday, I observed a falcon out on North Bank Road at 4.0 miles from
the bridge on the east (Glide) end of North Bank Road or 12,4 miles from
the west (Wilbur) end of North Bank Road. I have attached three (fuzzy)
photos... they are not great at all since the bird was a good distance away
(550-600 meters) and I couldn't keep a steady hand zoomed in.  What I can
tell ya, it was a BIG bulky falcon... at least the size of a large female
red-tailed hawk.  We were doing an eagle survey and my coworker thought it
was an eagle (based on size) when she first saw it and when we finally were
able to find a safe place to park, this is the view we had of the bird.  I
tried to take photos through the scope (forgot its camera adapter of
course), but no luck.  When I took my eye away from the scope, it had flown
off and out of sight (probably behind the ridge it was sitting on) and we
both missed it in flight.

Please send me your thoughts on the species identification.  I have
referenced several raptor books, pictures online, and other references, and
it only reinforces my determination. But, before making a final
determination I wanted to get input on the pictures from others.

Hope others get a chance to see it.  It was on the north side of the road
when we observed it. I may try to go out and find it again on Friday
(tomorrow)... although, probably like looking for a needle in a haystack.
But one never knows.

Other birds of interest at 12.7 miles from the bridge on the Glide end or
3.7 from the Wilbur end of North Bank Road (this is nearly always a "hot
spot" for lots of raptors at one time with pretty good number of species
too), we had 8 red-tailed hawks, a harrier, Merlin, and turkey vulture.
Also had 8 turkey vultures on Old Garden Valley Road.  Had an average count
(68 raptors - primarily red-tails and a few kestrels) compared to past
years on number of raptors observed in general.  Lowest count of eagles
with one golden and three bald eagles.

Thanks in advance.  I look forward to your input!

Good birding,

*Liz*

*Elizabeth I. Gayner*

*OR/WA BLM Peregrine Falcon Technical Coordinator*

*Lead Wildlife Biologist - Swiftwater Field Office*

Bureau of Land Management - Roseburg District Office

Phone: (541) 464-3381; egayner@xxxxxxx