[Umpqua Birds] Re: Falcon I.D.

  • From: "Toni M" <creekwood@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 17:46:18 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Elizabeth: First, thanks for the challenge. As an amateur, I have only a few
observations. I have never seen a falcon this big! What a spectacular bird
it is. I have seen peregrine falcons, but I recall them as being more
mid-sized than large, though the females seemed a little larger. One thing
that was consistent with peregrine falcons, whether they were male, female,
or juvenile, was that there was some definitive dark coloring, and I'm not
seeing any on this falcon?? I did look through Cornell's and few other sites
 photos, and I don't think this is a Peregrine. James' comments about
Gyrfalcons are on point, but I mostly see the large size as applicable. The
multiple color variations for Gyrfalcons and the similarity between some
females' photos and juveniles' photos make things confusing. As I'm finding
is often the case, many maps don't show the Gyrfalcon as being in this area,
not even for temporary migration. As a newbie, I think I've provided more
questions than answers :-)
Toni M.
So. Co.