[Umpqua Birds] Re: Falcon I.D.

  • From: James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 20:28:06 -0800

I'll take a stab at an interesting bird.

Starting at the head, we have what appears to be a smallish head in
proportion to the body. The head cap looks very light in the clearer
picture, but proportionately as dark as the back in the blurrier one. In
neither does the dark portion seem to cover the eye, as a Peregrine's
"helmet" possibly would, which is interesting. There also appears to be
thin "sideburns" on the bird in both pictures.

The chest appears largish in both pictures, and there seems to be an
absence of strong visible barring. The barring appears weak and vertical,
which could be indicative of a juvenile Peregrine. The shoulders appear to
be broad. If the bird was fluffed up or getting ready to take flight it
could explain away what seems like a valuable mark for a gyrfalcon.

It is very difficult to see where the tail is exactly. If I turn my head
one way it looks comically large, and another way and it looks very small.

I think your view of it through the scope and the description of the size,
my Dunne guide says larger female gyrfalcons can be the size of a
rough-legged hawk. As the Peregrine Technical coordinator I am sure you
have seen many more Peregrines than I have and would have reason to doubt
from your sighting that it isn't a peregrine, which it "should be."

The only thing keeping me from agreeing with what I think your
hypothesizing the bird being is the fuzziness of the picture, the lighting,
and the branches obscuring parts of the bird. I'm not good enough to make a
judgment, but I think your looks in the field give you enough reason to
doubt that the bird is a Peregrine.