[Umpqua Birds] Re: East Roseburg/Dixonville Saturday (Feb 1)

  • From: "Toni M" <creekwood@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 17:58:15 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Matt:
Terrific information! I appreciate your taking the time to provide such a
helpful response, and I'm sure that others on the list will benefit from the
informtion. It will be fun to hear about your 'experimental adventures'
during the coming year, and I look forward to learning from you and other
experienced list members during the scheduled field trips.
Toni M

From: Matthew G Hunter
Date: 02/02/14 16:45:57
To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] East Roseburg/Dixonville Saturday (Feb 1)

Hi Folks,

Mark Hamm and I did a little scouting Saturday for the following series of
short field trips. I thought I would take advantage of a two-hour period
while my daughter is driving for her Driver's Education class for a few more
Saturdays. So I hope some of you can join me. Mark Hamm may be along as well
if he is available.

Some of our interesting sightings from Saturday were:

SAY'S PHOEBE near the Dixonville quarry.

GOLDEN EAGLE north of the ODFW office.

Leucistic FOX SPARROW continues at the ODFW office, in shrubs near the
feeders to the west of the office (see photos from December here http://www
flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157638840748645/)

Following is the announcement that will be on the Umpqua Valley Audubon
Website soon (www.umpquaaudubon.org)

Four-in-a-Row Short Saturday Field Trips

Matt Hunter will lead short birding walks at some central and east Roseburg
sites for the next four weeks while his daughter is in Driver's Education
class at the UCC Small Business Development Center (SBDC, 2555 NE Diamond
Lake Blvd., just before Abby's Pizza on the right on the way out of town).
Meet at 0855 at the SBDC, southeast parking area. From there we will travel
less than 10 minutes to a nearby location where we will look and listen for
birds for about 45 minutes. We will then drive to a second nearby location
for about another 45 minutes. Matt will need to be back at the SBDC at 1100.
If you don't meet in time at the SBDC, feel free to call Matt (541-670-1984)
to meet wherever he is (or you can meet at the first site shortly after
0900). No cost for any of these field trips.

Paired Sites and dates are as follows:
Feb 8, O.C. Brown Park & Dixonville quarry
Feb 15, Sunshine Park & ODFW office
Feb 22, Eastwood Park & Beulah Park
Mar 1, Bike Path at Deer Creek & Laurelwood Park and neighborhood

Recent Observations at these sites can be seen at the following links:

O.C. Brown Park

Dixonville Quarry

Sunshine Park

ODFW area