[Umpqua Birds] Re: East Roseburg/Dixonville Saturday (Feb 1)

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 10:52:13 -0800

Toni (and all),
Some interesting thoughts and good questions.
Large groups work good for some situations, not so good for others. I have
been thinking about that issue for some time and I have some trips in mind
with limited space, so stay tuned.

There are a number of people in our area that have the capability of
leading field trips, and I hope they do. I'll just speak for myself. I want
to lead a variety of different field trips locally and throughout the
Umpqua Basin (and beyond on occasion, but I'm mostly focusing on the Umpqua
Basin right now). I am taking it slow so as to not over-commit myself, so
I'm mostly in the planning (and hopeful) stage. I also hope to apply for
some grant funding to do more local and basin-wide education and field
trips with regard to birds, and/or charge for some trips. This year I will
be trying out a number of different approaches.

Currently, on the Umpqua Valley Audubon Society (UVAS) website (
www.umpquaaudubon.org), I have two field trips set up (besides the little
series I just announced). One is to help folks learn to recognize Greater
White-fronted Geese when they come over during migration in late April and
early May. The second is sort of a specialty trip, canoeing the Umpqua
Estuary. I say specialty because not many people have canoes and are
willing to do such a trip. But it is a fantastic place! :-)

With regard to these short trips I just announced, (1) I saw an opportunity
to use the time to lead some nearby short walks, using the limited time for
birding vs. travel, and (2) saw an opportunity to introduce whoever is
interested to a few close-by sites, their birds, and how to look for and
find them. These are not high-diversity sites like Ford's Pond, Plat I
Reservoir, and Stewart Park Wildlife Ponds, but they have birds
nonetheless, and I think it is a good lesson in itself just to learn to
search for birds in different locations and habitats. So, I hope we'll have
some fun and learn together.

Regarding birdwatching site maps for Douglas County:
(1) The birdingoregon.info website has information in birding sites in all
Oregon's 36 counties, including Douglas. You can go to this site and click
on Douglas County and explore from there. I'm not wild about how the site
is set up, but it does have a lot of sites.
(2) A color brochure version of most information on the website for Douglas
County is available through Umpqua Valley Audubon Society (UVAS,
www.umpquaaudubon.org). You can email Diana Wales (
dianawales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and request one, or come to one of the UVAS
programs and pick one up there. The programs are on the UVAS website,
and/or you can ask Diana to put you on her email list which she uses to
notify folks of upcoming programs, field trips, etc.
(3) I am currently working on an Umpqua Birds website that will include
some birding site information. In the beginning I will just include sites
that are not on the birdingoregon.info webpage, and just point to that
webpage with a link. Over time, however, I will develop a more
comprehensive treatment of birding sites in Douglas County, ...but that
will take some time. In the mean time, I recommend getting that brochure.
(4) Another thing you can do is go to eBird.org, click on Explore Data, and
check out the Hotspot Explorer or the Range and Point Maps.

I hope that helps, and I am looking forward to more field trips too.

Yours,

Matt