[uae] Re: Source code snapshot

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 01:06:23 -0500

Hi Giorgio

On Sunday 12 March 2006 18:15, SukkoPera wrote:
> I have been testing this on my brand new 64bit Ubuntu, and everything seems
> to work fine (with a 64-bit binary). Although, sound is about 1 second
> lagged. I've built e-uae with --with-alsa, but I think I've always had this
> problem, even on 32-bit Slackware.

You certainly shouldn't see a 1 second lag!

What have you got sound_maxbuf= set to in your config?

This setting gets interpreted differently by different sound drivers at the
moment, so is a bit confusing and is on my list of things to fix.

The ALSA driver interpret it as the size of the sound buffer in bytes.

So, if, for example, you set it to 8192 (the default), then for 44.1kHz stereo
16-bit sound this should equate to 2048 samples or 2048 * 1000 / 44100 = 46ms
of sound. A 46ms lag shouldn't really be particularly noticeable.

Of course, ALSA may be doing interesting things behind the scenes (perhaps
it's using the dmix plug-in to mix the sound output of multiple
applications).

What software are you running when you notice this lag?

> Also, how do I save and restore states, now that this should be supported?

It's half-supported at the moment. ;-)

There are no dialogs for state-saving/loading yet (except in the AmigaOS
version). I'm working on it.

You should be able to test it, though.

Set statefile= in your config file to the name of the statefile you want to
save to.

Then you can press F12+Numpad 0 to save state to that file and F12+Right
Shift+Numpad 0 to load from that file.

The other numeric numpad keys will save/load to the statefile with a number
tacked onto the filename. For example, F12+Numpad 1 will add a '_1' to the
state filename.

When it's working, F12+F5 will load an arbitrary state file and F12+Left
shift+F5 will save state to a specified file.

On Mac, as usual use F11 instead of F12 in the above and on AmigaOS use
Ctrl+Left Alt.

Note that saving state when you have a filesystem/hardfile mounted isn't
supported yet.