[uae] Source code snapshot

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 02:51:29 -0500

Hi All

As I said in an earlier mail, I'm trying to get this project to a releasable
state. As a step towards that, I've uploaded a current source code snapshot
to:

http://rcdrummond.net/uae/test/e-uae-0.8.27-CVS.tar.bz2

BTW. I'm now calling this E-UAE - since many others already are and to avoid
confusion. Answers on a postcard for the best meaning for that 'E'. :-)

Those of you that are able to compile from source, please test this and check
that there are no major problems.

There are a couple of things still to add for OS X users: there's no configure
support for building Steven's Cocoa GUI yet (Objective C support and all the
rest is there, so, for now, just edit src/Makefile to point to src/gui-cocoa
rather than src/gui-none after configuring), and I haven't merged my hacked
sdl-config script for building against the SDL framework (rather than the
Fink's SDL.) Both to do - very soon.

Those of you who have sent me patches that aren't in this one yet - sorry. I
have to draw the line somewhere. It's been months since the last full
release, and I really do need to get a new one out.

This source tree has been tested here on Linux/x86, AmigaOS (68k and OS4/PPC)
and OS X. I haven't tested yet on Linux/PPC (due to hard disk failure) or
BeOS/x86 (due to catastrophic hardware failure.). (So, Axel, if you're still
listening, does it work?) Feedback from those of you with platforms I don't
currently have - *BSD, Solaris, IRIX, plain Darwin (rather than OS X), etc. -
I would definitely love some feedback. I do plan to get my Linux/PPC and BeOS
systems up and running again as soon as possible to test there, (And I would
like to support some other Unix flavours. I've had a brief flirtation with
NetBSD and Solaris, but both have proved to be too much hard work due just to
get the buggers installed. This from a committed Debian user for 6 years.
I'll have another go when I have more time.)

There are no significant changes in the configure recipe. However (Derek),
parallel builds should work a little better, although they still won't scale
well. -j4 works okay here. -j8 probably won't work depending on the direction
of the wind.

There's a new README file, too - which may or may not be helpful. I'll see if
I can flesh this out a bit, time permitting. I really do need to sit down and
write some proper documentation one of these days.

Let me know how you get on.