[uae] OffTopic: Interest in other Amiga Emulators?

  • From: Jochen Becher <jochen_becher@xxxxxx>
  • To: UAE <uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:38:49 +0200

Hi,

WinUAE and E-UAE are (like most software systems) never ending stories:
There are always some more features you can implement and there is
always a last bug to fix. My personal interest on E-UAE is not so much
to emulate every hardware that was done for Classic Amigas in the past
but to save the possibility of executing AmigaOS 1.0 to 3.9 in the
future when all existing Amiga Hardware is broken. A future-save
hardware solution (including 680x0, AGA, some supported I/O, graphics
and sound cards that were also available for Amigas) would be a even
better solution for that problem.

Now I am looking forward: I believe that Amiga OS 4 has a serious
problem with its hardware platform. I was never able to get my hands on
an AmigaOne (in the time when they were manufactured I had no time to do
anything with it and I didn't expect that they vanish so fast from
market). Today there is no desktop PPC hardware platform that may be
used for that OS in the (near) future. Embedded boards always have
strong limitations (expandability, speed, standards, availability).

I would like to see an emulator that runs AmigaOS 4. One could start
emulating AmigaOne hardware and sooner or later replace hardware
emulation with AmigaOS 4 drivers that directly access the hardware or
call drivers of the host OS (linux).

I don't want to see this AmigaOS 4 dieing just because the hardware does
not run anymore. It is now the time to start building an emulator! (As
it was 10 years ago for classic Amigas.)

I am not able to do this project by my own: I don't have an AmigaOne and
I have not the time to run such a big project alone. But I want invest
some hours per week and I am looking for others to join.

What do you think about that?

Regards, Jochen