[uae] Re: Hello and I've fixed my SCSI problems (Gentoo Linuxx86)

  • From: Jonathan Heaney <jonathan.heaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 00:27:13 +0000

Hi Richard

>>Anyway, I modified the kernel adding in these options -
>>
>>1. Under "Bus Options", I added "Legacy /proc/pci interface"
>>2. In the ATA/ATAPI drivers section, I added (back in) "generic/default
>>IDE chipset support"
>>3. In the SCSI device support section, I added "legacy /proc/scsi/ support"
>>4. Also in the SCSI section, I added (back in) "SCSI generic support"
>>

>Interesting. I don't think the first 3 should make much difference, but you
>definitely need SCSI generic support for the ide-scsi driver (or if you have
>a real SCSI bus). I would have thought that the new ATA packet interface in
>2.6 would work without 1, 3 and 4 at least . . .

Bizarre - I'd tried '4' on its own first without the other three and it
didn't work.  Both my (ancient) SCSI DVD-Rom and writer died in quick
succession a while back and got (temporarily) replaced with an ATAPI
DVD-Rom, so I'd taken sg out of the kernel.  And I'm pretty sure I tried
'2' as well when I added sg back in before, so it had got me thinking
that '1' and '3' were the options that fixed it.

Anyway, it works now so I'm leaving it as-is.  I'm fed up compiling
kernels.  A new one is out every 15 minutes as well.

Oh and on my previous problem subject of sound, I'd noticed that some of
the distortion was back (probably due to kernel change), and that even
with JIT cache set to zero, changing the JIT settings from indirect to
direct in my config helped calm it down, probably because it stops all
the <JIT compiler> output at the console.

Cheers,
Jonathan