[uae] Compiz (was Re: Snapshot 20070317)

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:33:21 -0400

Hi Jason

On Monday 19 March 2007 02:24, Jason Rainforest wrote:
> There's one issue with the i586 version when running a compiz, and I'm
> not sure why it occurs. Here's a window shot of the E-UAE window:
>
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~l3mming/temp/E-UAE.jpg
>
> The E-UAE window contents are transparent, and seem to be adding to
> what's in the background (a sunset, hence the orange and yellow), also
> there's a shell window with E-UAE's output. The Workbench screen in the
> E-UAE window is the standard 3.0/3.1 grey.
>
> This problem doesn't occur if sdl.use_gl is set to true, however when
> E-UAE is using an OpenGL display, the updates are very erratic
> (something to do with compiz' compositing, all OpenGL apps seem to have
> a similar issue, with either erratic updates or halved framerates as is
> the case with Quake III/IV).
>
> The AMD64 version of E-UAE doesn't have this issue, just the i586
> version. The system here is Ubuntu 6.10 with latest updates, plus Compiz
> 3.6.0 compiled from Gandalfn's repository (Ubuntu 6.10 comes with a much
> earlier version of Compiz).

I don't know why this is happening, and I haven't had any luck getting compiz
to work on this x86 box (Debian unstable with Xorg 7.1.1 and Xorg R200
drivers). Compiz 0.2.0 from the Debian repo has problems refreshing windows
(i.e., they don't refresh) while 0.3.6 built from source complains it can't
find the GL_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension, while it's plainly there (and
0.2.0 finds it okay).

I don't have time to mess with this right now, so I think this'll have to be
a 'won't fix' until after WIP4 is out.