[uae] Re: CAPS plugin (was 'Compile problems with UAE 0.8.25')

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:09:23 -0500

Hi Derek

On Friday 27 August 2004 04:48 pm, Derek Piper wrote:
> Okay, now I'm using these options:
>
> --prefix=/usr/local/uae/
> --enable-aga
> --enable-cycle-exact-cpu
> --enable-compatible-cpu
> --with-sdl-gfx
> --with-caps
> --with-caps-prefix=/usr/local/uae/support/ipfdevlib_linux/

Options 2, 3 and 4 in the above list are also enabled by default.

> >> when I do 'make', it runs briefly and this error is seen amongst the
> >> output:
> >>
> >> make -C tools build68kc
> >> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/uae-0.8.25-20040302/src/tools'
> >> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `build68kc'.  Stop.
> >> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/uae-0.8.25-20040302/src/tools'
> >> make[1]: *** [tools/build68k] Error 2
> >> make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

That's very strange. Look in the src/tools directory. Has the config script
created a symlink from build68k.c to the same file in the src directory?
(Yeah, I know this is a convoluted way of doing things, but I've done it like
this so that the build system supports cross-compiling without having to
re-arrange the directory structure.)

Hang on a minute . . . that says 'build68kc' not ' build68k.c'. Very strange
indeed. Can you send me a copy of your src/tools/Makefile?

I've not tried building on Woody for a while (and I don't have a Woody
installation at the moment), but I didn't encounter any problems there before
as I recall.

> >> Every time I run make it gets a little bit closer to finishing. Is the
> >> order of the targets incorrect? Why does it need to have to be
> >> 'prodded' along like that? 'make' needs to be run 3 times in order for
> >> the build to complete. Is that normal?

Very bizarre.

> With the revised configure options, it still exhibits that behaviour. I
> have to type 'make' a few times to get it to compile fully. Anyone know
> why it does that?

No. :-(

It's not what I would expect at all. If it were broken, it should stay broken
- dammit. Running make again should make no difference.

> >> Without the SDL options above I get a build that at least loads the
> >> kickstart.
> Okay. I did find that my problems only came when I had
> '--with-sdl-sound' in my options, so I guess I'll leave that out. I
> still get sound.

SDL audio generally causes lots of problems if you have an aRts-enabled build
of SDL.

If you leave out the --with-sdl-sound option on Linux, you get OSS sound.

> Well, like I said I already tried adding the exact directory to
> ld.so.conf. I had added the symlink in /usr/lib/ and it had made no
> difference. Unless there are some other 'instructions' I'm unaware of,
> shouldn't that be it? Where is uae trying to load the CAPS plug-in from?
> I have the library itself copied to /usr/lib/ now, and it still comes up
> with 'Failed to load CAPS plug-in.' and dies (yes, the file and path are
>   world readable). Is anyone else trying to run UAE+CAPS on Debian Woody?

It doesn't try to load the CAPS plug-in from a specific location - you just
need to have the plug-in installed somewhere in your library path.

Simply copying it to /usr/lib and running ldconfig should be enough to get it
working.

Alternatively, set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable to whereever the plug-in
is installed before running uae. For instance, if it's in the current
directory

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.