[u3aavcuss] Re: Windows Updates

  • From: "Mike Bean" <Mike.Bean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 09:01:37 -0000

Infopath is a Microsoft product for data collection often for integration
with Sharepoint Services. It was a breakthrough when first released with
Office 2003 as it allowed creation of true SOAP controlled XML data
collection and authentication services. If anyone understood all that and
could conceivably use such a product, please step forward and take over the
CUSS group as you are a true IT nerd!

I can confidently assure all U3A users that there is no conceivable use you
could make of Infopath on a home PC.

However - if the Microsoft automatic update system 'thinks' or detects that
this is required it will blunder ahead and try to install it AND if that
goes wrong then it causes the update chaos we occasionally see, both with
the product itself and with other changes held up as a result.

As Ron says, there are many solutions proposed (although they are not
limited to Office 21007 as there were similar ones cause by Infopath in
Office 2003) and as I've not had THAT problem I cannot speak first hand
about it BUT, as I assert above, there is no practical need for Infopath on
a home PC then an option, the starting point I would take, is to uninstall
specifically, and only, Infopath and see if that particular update reoccurs.

Mike

  _____