[u3aavcuss] Windows Updates

  • From: Ron & Rosemary M - U3A <ronandrosemary62-u3a@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: U3A CUSS Group <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:07:19 +0000 (GMT)

Hi

Back last March Brian Robson reported a problem with repeated downloads of
Microsoft Updates. There was a little discussion about this but I believe the
problem remains unsolved.

On checking my update downloads for XP over the last few weeks I seem to be
having a similar problem; with the update for Microsoft Office Infopath 2007
(KB976416) bringing up an error code 0x57A

Searching various Microsoft and other help lines the solution seems to require
either a reinstall of Office2007 or a rather tricky edit of the registry files.

Although Infopath is part of Office 2007 I have yet to find how you use it so
it would not bother me if I un-installed that piece of software. (Does anyone
know what it does ?) Otherwise the registry edit is something I would rather
not tackle having done it once on Vista I would not willingly do it again. At
least this time my PC is fully backed up as Mike Sanders recommendation.

Suggestions welcome so long as they don't involve throwing the PC out in the
snow. I think this one can wait until well after Christmas !

Bye Ron :-)