TT Q-Tip: Huh? Embedded HotTracks? What are those?!

  • From: TuneTracker Systems <ttcommandcenter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tunetracker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 07:55:13 -0500

This week's QuickTip coming up, but first...

==> Command Center 4.5 comes out Monday, May 2, and one of the new features we're most excited about, "Embedded HotTracks," requires some explanation...so we thought we'd put out a special e-mail to help you understand it.

"Embedded HotTracks"

First, we'll give you some background information, then we'll explain why the new feature is such a big deal.

Satellite programming often requires the local station to play customized IDs, call letters, and "return liners" over the top of the satellite audio. It gives a local flavor to the programming. In the TuneTracker System, we call those audio files "HotTracks." Previously in Command Center, their playback was accomplished like this:

# HotTrack 4 Comment StationID
# HotTrack 5 Comment Liner
# HotTrack 6 Comment CallLetters
# Switcher 16:00 Input 4 to Output 1 Listen 7 The Smith Show

What we're saying above is, when relay 4 is received, play a station ID. When relay 5 is received, play a liner. For relay 6, call letters. And in the Switcher line, the "Listen 7" part tells Command Center it should jump out of the switcher event and go to what's next when a relay 7 is received.

The new approach in Command Center 4.5 is accomplished in a single line, which is significant for reasons we're about to explain:

# Switcher SmithShowHotTracks 16:00 Input 4 to Output 1 Listen 7 The Smith Show

The additional item, "SmithShowHotTracks" refers to a text file containing a list of the hot tracks for this particular satellite programming.

"What's the Big Deal?"

There are a number of important reasons why the new approach is a leap forward:

1. Currently, Command Center must "stumble across" those HotTrack lines in the course of playing through the program log. If you reload your log, close and restart Command Center, or reboot, it is very unlikely you'll be lucky enough to have it encounter the HotTrack lines again right away, so you won't be playing local call letters, etc., until the automation encounters the HotTrack lines somewhere later on in the log.

2. If the HotTrack lines are outside of the switcher event as has been in the case in the past, and your local break runs too long, you can easily wind up receiving a relay closure and playing a station liner right over the top of a commercial. We all know how nasty that sounds. With our new approach, that's impossible, because the relays will only be responded to when the satellite is actually on the air.

3. The log becomes much more streamlined.

4. If the network changes its lineup of relay closures and local responses, you edit a single little text file. You don't have to make wholesale changes throughout your logs.

We hope you enjoy the TuneTracker System 4.5 suite and all of its exciting new features and improvements. More details and order form are at...

http://www.tunetrackersystems.com/4.5_info.html

...and you can view a couple videos showing new features here...

http://www.youtube.com/dsuden

Best regards,

Dane Scott
Dane Scott | Support Services
TuneTracker Systems
612 McDonald St.
Oconto, WI 54153 USA
920-273-0543
http://www.tunetrackersystems.com

TuneTracker QuickTips are sent out as a courtesy e-mail through TuneTracker
Support Services.  If you do not wish to receive QuickTips, please just let us
know and we'll remove you from the QuickTips list immediately.