[tssg-tech] Ubuntu 10.04 in VirtualBox on Windows 7 host

  • From: Harry Henriques <harry_henriques@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TSSG-tech <tssg-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:39:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I was having serious performance problems on a Windows XP pro 32-bit OS running
on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 with 1 GByte of RAM.  The Android emulator stalled when I
tried to invoke the HelloAndroid test app.  It took at least 5 minutes to
display "Hello, World".

I setup Android on my Windows 7 pro 64-bit machine.  I downloaded 32-bit Ubuntu
Lucid Lynx 10.04.1 to a VirtualBox on this machine.  I gave the Ubuntu OS
5.25GBytes of RAM and 20GBytes of harddisk in the VirtualBox.  I downloaded
32-bit eclipse Galileo 3.5.2 onto Ubuntu.  I downloaded the 32-bit Android sdk
and Android ADT plug-in.  The VirtualBox is running a 32-bit OS and emulating a
64-bit OS.

When I run Android on top of eclipse Galileo in the setup, it takes 1 minute
for
the "Hello, World" to appear in the emulator window.  The emulator appears to
hang-up, but if you press the MENU button on the emulator, the UI will respond
and un-freeze the display.  I've searched the internet, and I don't think this
emulator every runs faster than about 1 minute to load and display the apk.

Has anyone had better performance than I have had?

Best regards,
Harry Henriques
Java Developer