[tssg-tech] Native vs non-native XML parsers

  • From: "Beatrice W. Chaney" <bwchaney@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tssg-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:13:10 -0400

Using Java libraries outside the Android SDK is great for exploring and prototyping.

However, can we confirm that the following are the main goals for this project:
1. Learn to develop applications for the Android platform
2. Build a well-behaved Android application that follows best practices

Learning to import other Java libraries is certainly a great (advanced) skill. However, we need to evaluate benefits of this approach vs the cost to the user of using precious resources on his/her phone, potentially affecting not just our own application, but other applications on the user's phone as well. I would like to hear some compelling arguments on why the Android XML parser can't do the job. Most Android tutorials on XML parsing , including the IBM one http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/x-android/index.html, use RSS parsing as an example.

Your devil's advocate :-)
Bea