[triadtechtalk] Re: USR V.92 modems

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:09:11 -0700 (PDT)

Tipi,
Take a look this page re the USR V.92 Modem:
http://redirx.com/?slr
-----------------------------------
EXTRACT
Important Note: V.92 features are dependent on your
Internet Service Provider (ISP) and your phone
company=92s technical specifications. Some or all of the
features described as follows may fail to operate if
your ISP does not support V.92 or if your telephone
company uses non-standard methods to handle dual calls
on a single phone line. Moreover, phone line quality
may adversely affect V.92 features. U.S. Robotics has
made every effort to ensure full support of V.92
features in many countries, but local deployment of
ISPs and phone company support is beyond the control of
U.S. Robotics.

Setup Requirements
There are three main features offered with Internet
Call Notification to manage incoming calls while you
are online:=20
Incoming Call Notification =97 alerts you of incoming
telephone calls=20
Caller ID =97 displays the name and phone number of the
calling party=20
Modem on Hold =97 allows you to take a second voice
telephone call without losing your Internet connection=20
The availability of each of these features is subject
to certain requirements which are detailed as follows.=20
Incoming Call Notification (provided by telephone
service provider)

Call Waiting service from your local telephone service
provider is required in order for you to utilize the
Incoming Call Notification feature. Call Waiting may
not be available in all countries and regions. Check
with your local telephone service provider; there may
be a small setup charge and monthly fee for this
service.=20
Call Waiting allows for notification of incoming calls
while your analog phone line is already in use, be it
for a voice call or a modem connection. If you are
already engaged in a voice call when another incoming
call is attempted, you will be alerted to the incoming
call by a beep, and Call Waiting allows you the option
to switch between your two calls using the telephone
keypad.=20

Caller ID (provided by telephone service provider)
Caller ID service from your local telephone service
provider is required in order for you to view the
displayed name and phone number of the incoming calling
party. Caller ID may not be available in all countries
and regions. Check with your local telephone service
provider; there may be a small fee associated with this
service.=20
This service can also provide you with the
identification of incoming callers while you are
already engaged in another voice call; providing your
telephone is properly equipped.=20

Note: In some countries, the Caller ID data is sent by
the network in the form of DTMF tones. Your modem does
not support this format, and therefore, will not
display Caller ID information.=20

Modem on Hold (provided by Internet Service Provider)
In order to utilize the Modem on Hold feature, your
Internet connection must be established in V.92 mode.
This means that your Internet Service Provider must
offer V.92 service, and your modem must succeed in
establishing a V.92 connection.=20

If you are on a V.90 connection, meaning
first-generation standard 56K mode, the Incoming Call
Notification feature will still be available, but your
only options would be to either ignore the incoming
call, or respond to it at the expense of dropping your
Internet connection. Only a V.92 connection will allow
you to place the Internet connection on hold.
END EXTRACT
You replied:
SNIP...."I am in a location that does not provide two
phone lines, so ICN is very
important to me.  That's why I bought the modem in the
first place.  Any
clues you could provide would be helpful.  I am in the
computing field, but
I am not knowledeable in communications
hardware/software." ....SNIP

So, in answer to my query, I gather you do NOT have
call-waiting, correct? So ICN WILL NOT work, even if
the modem is ICN capable and the software is OK, and
the ISP is V.92 capable.

But if you do have call-waiting, then either the ISP is
not V.92 capable, or your telephone service provider's
set up is not compatible with ICN.
Wouldn't you agree?

Is there somone in your area - friend, relative, church
member- who has an operating ICN modem setup with  whom
you can compare notes so as to verify that it's not an
incompatibility due to the phone co.?

Are you sure your ISP is V.92 capable?

If the answer to these is affirmative, then your modem
and/or its software is kaput.

Definitely, if you do not have call-waiting, you cannot
have ICN, and even if you do have call-waiting it must
meet certain requirements in order for your modem's ICN
to work.

If you uninstall the modem and the ICN software and
then reinstall the drivers, the modem should work OK
without having to disable its V.92 capability. Just
don't reinstall the ICN software. I see no need to use
any additional init strings.

HTH, though I don't think I deserve any credit.
armando. 8-)
For Sale- Nice parachute: never opened -- used once,
slightly stained.
=0D