[triadtechtalk] Re: Start Menu CleanUp

  • From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 20:14:03 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Start menu should not be confused with Startup.

You may have as many listings in the Start menu ( Programs ) as your heart
desires. Every time you install a program it gets added to the start menu.

The StartUp menu is what may slow down your machine due to memory limitations
and usage.

Now, which are you talking about, Brian? Start menu or the StartUp folder, the
folder which you would right click on the taskbar>properties>Start menu
Programs> Advanced ?--in Explorer's right hand side are all shortcuts, but for
certain folders.

You can click on any folder or shortcut on your desktop while simultaneously
holding the Ctrl key down,
and you can drag & drop it into the Start button on your taskbar, thus placing
it in the Start menu.

You can also place a shortcut to any program in your StartUp folder.
This results in an icon appearing in your Systray(clock). These take up Windows
resources and
are the ones you should try to keep to a minimum. They would start upon
initializing Windows

I've never had an issue with these except in
cases where the PC's installed RAM was constrained. Even then, a memory
optimizer has helped in
overcoming this. I install AnalogX's  "MaxMem" in *all* the Windows OS's.
Adding RAM is better -
keep MaxMem, though.

P.S.: Remember what Chuck in OK pointed out, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

You might find this link useful in your quest:
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/windows-98-tutorial-start-menu.htm

And here are a kit'n'kaboodle more:
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22Windows+98+start+menu22&btnG=Search>

shortened: http://tinyurl.com/3hatz

HTH,
A.
----------------------------
A dozen eggs -     $1.99
A loaf of bread -   $2.59
A gallon of milk -  $3.39
A gallon of gas -   $1.99
A Dr.'s visit -     $135.00
A lawyer's call -  You're ruined!

Man... is gas cheap! I just wish the Arabs would set about
milking their camels and that Cogress would quit bickering!

Random House said Monday they think Bill Clinton's book will sell like Harry
Potter. Nothing sells books like black magic. Back when Bill Clinton was
governor of Arkansas, every Friday night at the stroke of midnight he would
turn into a motel.~Argus Hamilton