[triadtechtalk] Re: REALLY Unremovable Icon!!!

  • From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 20:00:26 EST

In a message dated 12/31/2001 4:24:38 PM Central Standard Time,
bcornel@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> If anyone has any idea what else might work I can try them. Otherwise I
> guess it will be wise to just keep the two icons

if you go to the MS knowledge base site it will give you an article about the
Micorsoft network icon not being in the desktop folder as it is set by a
registry entry.... so you have 3 choices... use twekUI ver1.33 to remove
it.... do a registry edit and delete the registry entry.. or leave it be.....
same goes for the network neighborhood icon... using tweakui is the safest
and easiest especially if you have no network cards installed.. seems all the
computer geek sites all say yes it can safely be removed with Tweakui as does
the MS site.... only time it will create a problem is if there is a network
card and files installed for networking.... if none are there then there will
be no problems....seems awful funny.. I have a Sony Viao 333 I fixed up for
my wife with no network card in it and win98se on it.. guess what.. aint no
network neighborhood icon showed uo on the desktop at all.. now I wonder why
that is?.. maybe due to the fact no networking stuff is in the machine...
even no internet sharing files ether as they will create problems since they
are dependent upon the network card.....
   Tweakui is a little program that comes out as a power toy and has gone
thru a few iterations and this latest version 1.33 is pretty stable and does
work.... the changes that you make with it are reversible.. in other words if
you make a change to anything and t creats a problem then it cna be changed
back.... been using the dumb thing from when it first came out and has proved
to be a godsend many a time..... course thats been my experience with it...
BUT>> do make sure you read the help file included before attacking
anything......... Chuck.. in OK..... and have a Happy New Year all.... safe
and sane...