[triadtechtalk] Re: Network Problem

  • From: "CS IMAP" <eastofhope@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:00:04 -0700

you have a lot of issues here.  too many to really solve over the internet
without starting over.  but here are a few things to check out.  I don't
know your skill level, so I appologize if this is way beneath your knowledge
level.  I just set up a network between two 6 and 7 yr old win98 machines.
Had trouble with the crossover cable and switched to the Hub.  Pretty much
followed the instructions below and all was well.  I did a scan disk and
defrag before proceeding.  You page fault error is independent of your
networking attempt.  You have a corrupted file that needs to be uninstalled
and reinstalled.

1.  If you have a friend with an ethernet hub and some cat5 cable, try that,
as crossover cable sometimes works and is sometimes funky.

2.  Your peer-to-peer network may require that all users log on using the
same account.  So set up one account:  for now.  Get rid of all of the user
accounts that you created (e.g., Mary, Joe, Sam, not the ones that come with
the OS)  except Administrator, and use the Administrator account on both
computers with the same password.  You can mess with accounts later.

3.  Get rid of all of your shares on both computers and check your Network
settings to make certain that you have all of the Clients, Protocols, and
Services you need.  By the way, what are are you using?  Client for
Microsoft Networks? NetBeui? File and Print Sharing? TCP/IP?  Did you try to
set up a Domain (not necessary)?  Are both computers set to the group
WORKGROUP.  You can use another name, but stick with the defaults until you
figure out what you need to get the network working.

4. Restart your computers while connected to the network. Note:  if one
computer cannot see the network, just log off and on again.  You don't need
to restart the computer in most cases.

5.  Log on to both computers using the same Administrator account and
password.

6.  Share the C: drive on each computer by creating a new share with a name
like CDesk and CLaptop.  They will be shared by Everyone, so click on
permissions and make certain that the Administrators are Added to these
shares and have full priviledges.

7.  let us know what happens.