[triadtechtalk] Re: More gmail

  • From: "Degilbo" <degilbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 16:11:10 +1000

Those are interesting observations, Richard, but where do they differ from
using Outlook, Outlook Express, Yahoo Mail, or Hotmail? If I delete a
message in Outlook it's either by right click, or alternatively clicking on
the "X" in the toolbar. It then goes to Deleted Items. Periodically I go to
Deleted Items and "empty" it. In GMail, I select the message, click More
Actions and select Move to Trash. Now, if I don't ever go to the "Trash"
folder, GMail will empty it after thirty days (or so they say). So it is not
necessary to take that step. Outlook/OE or any other mail program (not web
based) won't empty "trash" unless I tell them to (more actions). And as
Gmail now allow you 2 GB's of storage, why worry if you have a pile of
messages in the "Trash" folder :-)?

Now, you have me puzzled on the "Edit Subject" - where did you find that?
When my GMail displays in ALL MAIL, the mail is all grouped by threads, with
the subjects visible and a few words from the last received message. To
read, or reply, I just click on the Subject and that message opens with all
other messages in the thread "tabbed". To show ALL the messages, I just
click on EXPAND ALL (on the right). To reply, I just click REPLY (under the
message, on the left). But no where can I see "Edit Subject" on my screen
(?).

The above actions are similar to mail in any mail program, except for
"tabbed threads". That is unique to GMail and is a very handy feature. I
find accessing messages, when I need to, in Yahoo or Hotmail is a process of
many clicks. GMail is much faster. Their system of "Labelling" mail is
another unique feature I find handy. Similar to folders, except that mail is
still always available in one main folder - ALL MAIL - and neatly "labelled"
too!

GMail have designed a web mail system totally different to their
competitors. We just have to change our way of thinking about web based mail
to accommodate the way it works. It's a whole new ball game now.

Degilbo