[triadtechtalk] Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Falters!

  • From: "GASCON, VICTOR" <VGASCON@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 15:56:43 +0000

Hi everyone!

If you think it is bad under MS (which it is, granted), it is not much better
under Apple. They own your computing experience. Granted, their products have
an edge on quality and user friendliness, but you have little freedom. If it is
not Apple approved then you cannot install it or plug it in or develop it or
sell it. And if they decide to ignore a problem (even a hardware one) then you
are stuck. It took months and several fires before Apple did anything about one
of their laptop’s batteries — and it was not a very consumer-friendly
resolution. The customer had to jump through hoops to get a replacement (and it
may not have been free, either).

My point is that neither Microsoft nor Apple are “the best” at consumer
satisfaction. Depending on your needs and expectations, one of them would be
the least painful choice.

As far as I am concerned, the best experience comes from choosing Linux. You
have so many choices there and it is all mostly free. The community support is
(usually) second to none in responding to questions and problems. It is not
ideal but it is getting better every year. You can even run many Linux distros
using a USB pen or CD  so that nothing touches your actual system. No need to
worry about viruses, malware, crapware, etc. When you shutdown your computer,
your system is back to its pristine state the next time you boot it up. You can
run most Windows applications using WINE (free) or Crossover
(http://www.codeweavers.com/products/; $59.95), but you will need very few
Windows products because people have created Linux equivalents for most things
from email programs to high-end graphic designs (competing with Adobe
Photoshop) and they are all free.

Is everything perfect in Linux? No, of course not — nothing is perfect in any
of the different camps. Is it better to pay $$$ for Windows or Apple’s OSX and
have horrible bugs and major security gaps, or be forced into a horrible
interface (Windows 8)? Do I want to pay a lot more for an Apple computer and
then be forced to buy overpriced Apple-approved products for such? Or is it
better to try something like one of the many Linux distros (some even look and
act like Windows, but without the hassles).

We have choices.

Have a wonderful weekend!

-= Victor =-
Infrastructure Analyst