[triadtechtalk] LayOut.Zip HELP

  • From: brian99 <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:16:27 -0800

Howard & Armando,

Howard, I tried to right click on the Recycle bin, quick launch and everything on the desktop but I still just get what I think are the standard options: Arrange Icons, and Line up Icons. Not the "save icon settings listed" option.

When I did get it working originally it was accessible with just a right click on the desktop.

Armando, I have used TotalUninstall since you recommended it, but not recently since when it starts copying the registry a security program, I think WinPatrol, interrupts it to ask if I want to allow a new entry ( I think it is the tun entry that TotalUninstall will use to uninstall the program if needed.) After I click yes I don't think TotalUninstall finished copying the registry entries. Instead it just calls for the program installation. So consequently I did not use it when I installed LayOut.Zip.

I hope there are some other ideas since I would sure like to get that great program working.

BRIAN
-----------------

-----------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:06:21 -0800
From: brian99 <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [triadtechtalk] LayOut.Zip HELP

Excitement leads to frustration!!!
As you will recall I was ecstatic about Chuck's LayOut.zip DeskTop restoration tool.
But after doing my maintenance routine the right click option disappeared.
I tried the Icon Restore program that I had mentioned since it looked easier to install with the .exe extension.

It did not give the right click options. So after trying everything I know, I took the following steps to uninstall and reinstall all traces of both programs. But still could not get the program to work.

This was one of the few experience with installing a program like this so I would sure like to learn more about this process of installing and uninstalling this type of program.

December 01, 2005
1. Backed up Registry
2. Searched for Layout.dll
3. Found>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\IconLayout>and deleted it.
4. Found>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\IconLayout and deleted it.
5. Researched for LayOut.Dll and found it in System and System32.
6. Rebooted to see if the program would work.
7. Still is not working.
8. Deleted LayOut.Dll from System and System32.
9. Again searched for: Layout.dll and they do not show up except in my DownLaod file.
10. Again searched for: IconLayOut.Nothing found
11. I deleted the Layout.reg, and Layout.dll from: C:\UnZipHoldingFile\LayOutFolder
12. I then unziped LayOut.zip contents to C:\UnZipHoldingFile\LayOutFolder
13. and reinstall the 2 files as I first did by copying LayOut.dll to System and System32 and then clicked on LayOut.reg
15. Went to desktop and right clicked and still don't have the "save icon settings listed" option.
15. Rebooted and checked again.
16. Still not working!!!!

Can anyone see what I have done wrong and how I can restore the great LayOut.zip DeskTop restoration tool.

BRIAN
--------------
From: "Howard" <hbint@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: LayOut.Zip HELP
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:23:28 -0500

Hi Brian ... I don't know if you tried this or not. When I first installed this
program, I think someone said you had to right click on a system file on your
desktop and I think My Computer was mentioned. Anyway, I didn't have it in my
right click option until I right clicked on the recycle bin. It's still that
way.
Just a thought ...

Howard
----------------
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:38:22 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Except for doze 95, in all other versions of windoze I use Total Uninstall to
install any and all programs that I add. Always.

It has never failed me when restoring to its original configuration a PC in
which I've used it for an installation. It's not going to help you now, but
I've mentioned Total Uninstall many times.

Good luck,
Armando