[triadtechtalk] LayOut.Zip HELP

  • From: brian99 <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 11:42:51 -0800

Chuck & Armando,

Thanks for the information.

First about LayOut.Zip:
I used the link to downloaded the uninstaller for Icon Restorer as Chuck suggested and ran it.

So the program was not installed. I then Unzipped LayOut.Zip again to a holding folder and then right clicked on Layout.dll and selected copy to Windows System. It asked if I want to replace the existing identical file with the new one. I clicked yes.

I then did the same thing with Windows System32. So I know the layout.dll is in both the System and the System32 folders.

I right clicked on the desktop and still had only the option the 2 icon options: to arrange or line up the icons.

I rebooted just in case, but with the same results!!!!

Well I said it before, if any one can goof things up...I am surely the one!!!

And about TotalUninstall: Armando with the tips you provided I will begin using it again.
BTW, I found this great explanation of some additional things about TotalUninstall for anyone who is also have some problems understanding how to use the program:
at: http://tinyurl.com/7uktv

Armando, thanks for taking the time to check the registry key entry's.
So I will be crossing my fingers as I wait until Monday and I hoping that the registry info may lead me to the solution!

Thanks Chuck, Howard, and Armando.
As I told my wife who has never touched a computer. Don't even try it unless you have some guardian angles looling over your shoulder like you guys!!!

BRIAN
======================

Brian...... try this link... it may help as its an installer for the restorer setup...... download it from this link and install.... then you right click on my computer or recycle bin... should work then.... hopefully.....
chuck..... in ok

_http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html_ (http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html)

==============================

The new entry that WP refers to is that in fact, TUN will place itself in the
startup folder temporarily so as to
monitor any changes made.

Some programs, Diskeeper Lite, for instance, needs to allow a reboot before it is finished installing. When necessary, as in the case of DKLite,, one should then reboot so that the changes made are then
monitored & recorded by TUN so it can thus use its saved state to revert to a time prior to the changes made if one chooses to uninstall the program(s).

After rebooting, as in the case described above, TUN will be found in the systray,
minimized, and one can then double click it to maximize it and proceed to click on its
"Finish" button, at which time it scans the PC for all the changes made.

Mike Linn's Startup Monitor does the same thing that WP does. All of it..., for
free!
I've mentioned Startup Monitor also.

Anyway, I'll reload Windows 98SE in some box here and I'll proceed to install
the desktop layout program
via TUN and I'll send you a copy of the reg. keys and folders that it lists as having
been edited by "layout".
Perhaps you can then check your box against these and are perhaps able to clear
whatever it is that prvents you now from reinstalling it or using it.

I'll let you know by Monday at the latest, God willing.  Armando