[triadtechtalk] Re: False Positive results with MSE

  • From: brian <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:04:40 -0500

Chuck and Howard,

Thanks for that great advise; I think is is exactly what I needed to hear from 2 of my highly regarded mentors.

I began thinking how exactly did I get here.

I realized I have been in the learning mode.
It involved, tutorials, down loading, trying all sorts of utilities, and finding out what my computer could really do. And as you said, all along the way I am getting into trouble and consequently, needing ways to fix the many problems I caused.
All of this has been been part of my learning.

But when help was not available from the TTT group I had to rely on the programs and techniques I had acquired. Consequently, I now have now accumulated all sorts of the programs simply to get out of trouble when it happens.
But I have also found many programs that usefully fill a real need.

There are the many security programs like, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, WinPatrol, Sandboxie, etc; Or other often used programs like, InfranView, Ccleaner, Revouninstller, Secunia, etc; And other valuable programs like, Secunia, AutoHotKey, Belarc Advisor, MozBackup, Double Driver, etc; Or just helpful programs used daily like, ImgBurn, LastPass, PizzaTimer, Jarte, VistaSwitcher, DropToDos,, etc;

The list goes on but there are many programs that are use often. So I can't see how these would be dropped. But then as I look at my very long list of programs that are just waiting to be used for month or years and never used--I certainly think I could do without them.

I had been trying to clean up things like simplifying my backup procedure, cleaning up my USB drives, and setting up a plan to better use my flash drives. So this would be a perfect time to dump all the extra programs I have stored on my computer. And perhaps I have reached a point in my learning I can severely limit the number of new programs I try. Keeping Things Much More SIMPLE!

Maybe then I will avoid many problems and when they do occur I may find that unlike in the past Windows troubleshooting will actually provide a real solution.

I hope this makes sense and will move me in the right direction.

Thanks for providing the voice of experience and knowing exactly what I am experiencing since you have been there!

Brian

================
On 6/20/2012 9:08 AM, ChasM49@xxxxxxx wrote:
Brian... seems you have a tendency to enjoy playing with fire.... yes MSE will show they are infected.... and most likely not but have similar features related to the virus and Trojans named...... should tell you that need to look deep since its saying there is a critical feature that imposes dangers in those programs...... and then ask... why do I need all these things.... seems you want to be the zillionaire in holdings of programs on your pc... why? do you use every one of them or do they have pretty little icons on them.....if you want all sorts of pretty icons then go and download Windows 8... I used to go out and get all those recovery files,unzip and zippers and password finders etc etc etc.. but learned..... they aren't worth the efforts..... now.. I use 4x5 cards for passwords etc and have no need for the "lost island of whatsoever " repair,fixer,recover,opener, or any other of a thousand drive by files one sees on the net..... I make use of the windows troubleshooter files.... and do have System mechanic i did buy.....and a select few of video tools.... MSE has proven lots better than many of the AV stuff... Norton,and other Avs seem to be monster troublesome resource hogs that slows a PC down to old man crawling speed.... so I dont even bother with them...maybe its time for you to be taking a look see at what you are doing and needing all these programs..... to me...... seems you are enjoying the crisis they bring on......... have to go back to my simple word..... KISS!!!!!!!!!! .........dump the garbage......take a real honest good look at that Nirsoft Messup....... you seem to begging for the problems that it will bring to you.... FREE???????? aint no free lunches anymore......... my opinion... since am getting too old for those crazy junker files "free" to cure all ills of ones PC........ chuck..... in Ok In a message dated 6/19/2012 5:16:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time, brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    TTT users,

    An update on my use of MSE.
    This problem occurred while using MSE but I guess it is applicable
    with any of the anti virus programs.
    Hopefully, if will be of some help to other less seasoned users.

    I can sure say no one can say MSE doesn't find malware.
    It found about 10-15 files that it said ranged from severe to
    mildly infected!
    _*
    The problem was most were from: *_
    NirLauncher - Collection of more than 100 portable utilities from
    *NirSoft -* _*http://launcher.nirsoft.net/*_
    I knew NirLauncher was a reputable site but didn't know if the
    files the MSE detected had somehow become infected.
    I spent hours having MSE quarantining the many many items it ID ed
    as viruses.
    There were programs I had used for a long time like:
    CurrPorts, ProduKey, ShellExView,etc;

    _*NOTE:*_ _*See the entire list here*_:
    *Anti virus"False Positive" Problems -
    http://www.nirsoft.net/false_positive_report.html**
    *
    I guess the lesson is if a anti virus program find any infections
    they should be sent to
    *VirusTotal Web:http://tinyurl.com/2z9e5q <http://tinyurl.com/2z9e5q>*
    to see if they really are infected files.

    So now I have set MSE to Exclude these Files and Locations.
    However, now I am wondering if simply removing these files is OK
    or if it best to reinstall all of them?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Brian