[triadtechtalk] Re: False Positive results with MSE

  • From: Howard <hbint@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 13:06:23 -0400

From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:08 AM
To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: False Positive results with MSE

Brian... seems you have a tendency to enjoy playing with fire.... yes MSE will
show they are infected.... and most likely not but have similar features
related to the virus and Trojans named...... should tell you that need to look
deep since its saying there is a critical feature that imposes dangers in those
programs...... and then ask... why do I need all these things.... seems you
want to be the zillionaire in holdings of programs on your pc... why? do you
use every one of them or do they have pretty little icons on them.....if you
want all sorts of pretty icons then go and download Windows 8... I used to go
out and get all those recovery files,unzip and zippers and password finders etc
etc etc.. but learned..... they aren't worth the efforts..... now.. I use 4x5
cards for passwords etc and have no need for the "lost island of whatsoever "
repair,fixer,recover,opener, or any other of a thousand drive by files one sees
on the net..... I make use of the windows troubleshooter files.... and do have
System mechanic i did buy.....and a select few of video tools.... MSE has
proven lots better than many of the AV stuff... Norton,and other Avs seem to be
monster troublesome resource hogs that slows a PC down to old man crawling
speed.... so I dont even bother with them...maybe its time for you to be taking
a look see at what you are doing and needing all these programs..... to
me...... seems you are enjoying the crisis they bring on......... have to go
back to my simple word..... KISS!!!!!!!!!! .........dump the garbage......take
a real honest good look at that Nirsoft Messup....... you seem to begging for
the problems that it will bring to you.... FREE???????? aint no free lunches
anymore......... my opinion... since am getting too old for those crazy junker
files "free" to cure all ills of ones PC........ chuck..... in Ok

In a message dated 6/19/2012 5:16:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

WHAT HE SAID
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!

Howard

  TTT users,

  An update on my use of MSE.
  This problem occurred while using MSE but I guess it is applicable with any
of the anti virus programs.
  Hopefully, if will be of some help to other less seasoned users.

  I can sure say no one can say MSE doesn't find malware.
  It found about 10-15 files that it said ranged from severe to mildly infected!

  The problem was most were from:
  NirLauncher - Collection of more than 100 portable utilities from NirSoft -
http://launcher.nirsoft.net/
  I knew NirLauncher was a reputable site but didn't know if the files the MSE
detected had somehow become infected.
  I spent hours having MSE quarantining the many many items it ID ed as
viruses.
  There were programs I had used for a long time like:
  CurrPorts, ProduKey, ShellExView,etc;

  NOTE: See the entire list here:
  Anti virus"False Positive" Problems -
http://www.nirsoft.net/false_positive_report.html

  I guess the lesson is if a anti virus program find any infections they should
be sent to
  VirusTotal Web: http://tinyurl.com/2z9e5q
  to see if they really are infected files.

  So now I have set MSE to Exclude these Files and Locations.
  However, now I am wondering if simply removing these files is OK or if it
best to reinstall all of them?

  Any help is appreciated.

  Brian