[triadtechtalk] False Positive results with MSE

  • From: brian <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TriAdTech <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 17:15:53 -0500

TTT users,

An update on my use of MSE.
This problem occurred while using MSE but I guess it is applicable with any of the anti virus programs.
Hopefully, if will be of some help to other less seasoned users.

I can sure say no one can say MSE doesn't find maleware.
It found about 10-15 files that it said ranged from severe to mildly infected!
_*
The problem was most were from: *_
NirLauncher - Collection of more than 100 portable utilities from *NirSoft -* _*http://launcher.nirsoft.net/*_ I knew NirLauncher was a reputable site but didn't know if the files the MSE detected had somehow become infected. I spent hours having MSE quarantining the many many items it ID ed as viruses.
There were programs I had used for a long time like:
CurrPorts, ProduKey, ShellExView,etc;

_*NOTE:*_ _*See the entire list here*_:
*Anti virus"False Positive" Problems - http://www.nirsoft.net/false_positive_report.html**
*
I guess the lesson is if a anti virus program find any infections they should be sent to
*VirusTotal Web:http://tinyurl.com/2z9e5q <http://tinyurl.com/2z9e5q>*
to see if they really are infected files.

So now I have set MSE to Exclude these Files and Locations.
However, now I am wondering if simply removing these files is OK or if it best to reinstall all of them?

Any help is appreciated.

Brian