[tn-moths] Re: Esther Moth vs. One-spotted Variant

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:50:41 -0400

I recently spent considerable time trying to figure out how to tell the two
apart. The variation is frightening. At first glance I thought yours both
looked like Esther's. I haven't seen a melnistic form of either species. Keep
up the great work.

Larry McDaniel
Johnson City, TN

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:08:16 -0400
Subject: [tn-moths] Esther Moth vs. One-spotted Variant
From: jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx
To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mothers,

As we all know, sometimes it is frustratingly difficult to separate some
closely related species.  In this particular case, I was going back and forth
between the One-spotted Variant (Hypagyrtis unipunctata) #6654 and Esther Moth
(H. esther) #6655.  Assuming this image is of two mating individuals of the
same species, the melanistic form on top has smooth, non-patchy wings
indicative of Esther Moth.  The bottom (typical form) individual has more
mottling on the wings suggestive of One-spotted Variant.

I actually photographed the melanistic moth earlier in the night while it was
alone and thought for sure I had an Esther.  Later, I caught him/her in a more
amorous mood and I was totally confused because to me the
bottom moth looks more like a lightly mottled One-spotted Variant.  Most of the
Variants I see here are more heavily mottled but there is tremendous variation
in this species and some look for all the world like Esthers.  So after a lot
of going back and forth I've decided that both are Esther Moths but if anyone
has another opinion, I'd love to hear it.  It goes to show you can never be
totally certain and in this case the moths made sure I stayed confused!

BTW, has anyone seen any of the melanistic forms--of either species?  It is a
first for me.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch