[tn-moths] Re: Yellow-headed Monopis Moth--an invader from Russia!

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:58:19 -0400

I saw my first in July of 2008. I started moth-ing in May of that year. I've
seen several since then including this one in July 2009.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27634081@N06/4262750256/in/set-72157608707935389/.

Larry McDaniel
Johnson City, TN

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:41:25 -0400
Subject: [tn-moths] Yellow-headed Monopis Moth--an invader from Russia!
From: jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx
To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mothers,

I photographed a very distinctive micro last night that has an interesting
history according to Bugguide.  The moth is the Yellow-headed Monopis Moth
(Monopis pavlovskii) 0418.1.  First noticed as different from other Monopis
species by Bob Patterson in Maryland back in 1999, it was determined to have
been around for quite some time but unidentified.  Turns out that this is a
Russian/Far east species that somehow made it to our shores and has been
recorded at various sites from New York to Florida.  An attractive black and
white patterned micro, Monopis pavlovskii is yet another invasive that has
unknown consequences to our native moth fauna.

In case you're wondering the head has a very slight yellowish tint, hard to see
in this photograph.

Has anyone else out there seen this?
--
J. Merrill Lynch