[tn-moths] Esther Moth vs. One-spotted Variant

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:08:16 -0400

Mothers,

As we all know, sometimes it is frustratingly difficult to separate some
closely related species.  In this particular case, I was going back and
forth between the One-spotted Variant (Hypagyrtis unipunctata) #6654 and
Esther Moth (H. esther) #6655.  Assuming this image is of two
mating individuals of the same species, the melanistic form on top has
smooth, non-patchy wings indicative of Esther Moth.  The bottom (typical
form) individual has more mottling on the wings suggestive of One-spotted
Variant.

I actually photographed the melanistic moth earlier in the night while it
was alone and thought for sure I had an Esther.  Later, I caught him/her in
a more amorous mood and I was totally confused because to me the
bottom moth looks more like a lightly mottled One-spotted Variant.  Most of
the Variants I see here are more heavily mottled but there is tremendous
variation in this species and some look for all the world like Esthers.  So
after a lot of going back and forth I've decided that both are Esther Moths
but if anyone has another opinion, I'd love to hear it.  It goes to show you
can never be totally certain and in this case the moths made sure I stayed
confused!

BTW, has anyone seen any of the melanistic forms--of either species?  It is
a first for me.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch