[tn-dragonflies] Least Clubtails, Ophiogomphus sp. Williamson Co TN

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, se-odonata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 20:59:27 EDT

Today was Least Clubtail day on Burns Branch, Natchez Trace Parkway,
Williamson Co. TN
I had seen one there last year but today I saw an est. total of 10 in a
couple hundred yards of stream. Males on sunny rocks in the current of a
small,  rocky, shady stream.
Today they had little competition from anything larger than Ebony
Jewelwings.
One tussled for a sunny rock with a Powdered Dancer and I could see the
size was not much different in the two, the Least being only slightly  larger.

Another nice find there was a Snaketail (Ophiogomphus sp.) female egglaying
 in the stream. Probable Acuminate Snaketail (O. acuminatus), it has been
found  in the drainage one valley over, but not good enough look to say for
sure. Other  possibility would be Rusty Snaketail (O.rupinsulensis).  This
outing  was just a dog walk so no camera, and no photo of female.

But it gave me this thought - Acuminate Snaketail (some call it Tennessee
Snaketail) is a tracked species of concern, limited to middle TN, so.  KY
and no. AL. They are pushing a 4-lane highway - the infamous 840 - thru  this
part of the county and finding O. acuminatus was in part responsible for
moving Hwy 840 from the next valley over to this valley. This valley is the
public valley, containing the Natchez Trace Parkway, and a beautiful  stream
with horse trail (and hiking trail) along it. I wonder if I had  found O.
acuminatus here first if it could have been different- the big scar was  just
cut across the upper valley just last month, and construction is under way.
My treat this afternoon seeing some neat odes on the down stream portion
may be  hope that the highway crossing may not be a total destruction of the
creek and  valley. Luckily odonates can't hear.

Richard Connors
Nashville TN