[tn-dragonflies] Laurel Run Unknown Clubtail

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 18:46:38 -0400

Friends

I need some help with an id on this clubtail I photographed at Laurel Run
Park in Hawkins County this afternoon. I was overcast and so not a great
photo, but I think has most of the characteristics that might give us a
tentative (or definitive) id. It was smaller than the Splendid Clubtails
I've been seeing there the past couple of weeks. It was a dark individual.
The two shoulder stripes were black and complete. The two lateral stripes
(T3 and T4) were narrow but complete. You can see the rest in the photo.
The habitat is a county park along the base of Bays Mountain with a
forested mountain stream as well as the Holston River nearby. It was
perched in a patch of sedges and rushes maybe 40 yards from the forested
stream. Based on what I can see, I can't exclude Cherokee Clubtail
(although I've never seen one and it isn't in the database for Hawkins
County at Odonata Central). What do you think? Thanks for the assistance.

Rick

--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee