[tn-dragonflies] predation

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 17:26:55 -0400

June 03, 2014
The Cattails Golf Course at Meadowview
Kingsport, Sullivan County, Tennessee

I had been in most of the day due to overcast and relatively cool weather.
It warmed up a bit this afternoon (it was 74 degrees F when I left the
house) so I decided to check out an area on a local golf course that I
thought might be good for clubtails. I had walked for about an hour without
seeing much at all and had stopped to rest alongside Horse Creek (which
runs the length of the course) in a small sandy clearing where the
maintenance crew often leaves brush. I was whining to myself about not
seeing much when I heard a loud "pop" almost right over my head. I looked
up to see a large dragonfly come to rest on a pile of sand. It was a
Splendid Clubtail and it had just blasted a male Eastern Pondhawk and was
devouring it on top of the sand pile. I watched for a few minutes and then
started trying to sneak closer for a couple of photos. I took quite a few
before the dragonfly flew up to perch horizontally on some big poison ivy
leaves. About 10 minutes later I saw and photographed another individual in
the same area (was much greener, but still a Splendid Clubtail). See
attached photo of the clubtail and it's prey. Fun stuff!

Rick

--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee